How Much DEF is your D13 Burning

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by biofumes, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Rob100100

Rob100100 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016
    It can be many things but I would want to check the DEF tank filter(they can get plugged up) and the DEF pump first. They sometimes do not put out a code for awhile. I drove about 2000 miles and did not use much DEF then about 45 minutes nor of Grand Forks got a 1 hour derate warning then the 3 hour derate. No codes or warnings showing. You might on something like this want to take it to a Volvo Dealership depending on what the place you bought it from says.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    If you post a picture of your exhaust stack here I can tell if you have def delete. Another thing if def is deleted the dpf is most likely too. Maybe even egr delete.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I can go from Idaho to tennesse and back to Idaho and still have a little def left in the tank... Loaded 78k+ most of the way. 2017 Volvo d13, 273k miles on engine, 12 speed I-shift, average fuel economy of 7.8 mpg

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Myself if everything was running proper I’d just drive it

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im snarky.

I hope whatever engine they give me BURNS IT ALL. lolz.

Spent the money, burned it up, don't need it.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    My previous truck quit using def once... It took 4 days before it started throwing codes and then with in a few hours it went into derate... Turned out to be a broken power wire to the after treatment control system.

KB3MMX, biofumes and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I cant believe the drivers of today of no mechanical know how of their trucks theses days and cant tell something so simple if there is a def and egr delete. Hell most people could tell just by the exhaust and turbo note just by giving the truck a rev in neutral. All bs a side, if it is deleted, be grateful that you had it done for free and enjoy a problem free truck

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. biofumes

biofumes Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California
    Now this has made the most sense so far, I’ll definitely be checking for this.

10. Oneel998

Oneel998 Bobtail Member

May 21, 2019
    im late to the party BUT the best thing to do, without PTT, is do just run you truck for a second, turn it off and listen for your DEF pump do "humming noise" youll also hear you DEF doser clicking as it returns the DEF. if you don't hear any of that and your def gauge shows FULL constantly, MOST likely its deleted. Ive came across this a lot.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Dpf is like a giant muffler too. You cant hear a #### thing out of the exhaust stack with a dpf truck. Usulally the tips are clean and shiny as welll. Not all the time but most are. With a delete and even with a standard muffler mounted in line, You WILL hear a exhaust note and have a sooty exhaust tip. I say inline, because dpf trucks have a straight stack with no muffler becuase the dpf is the muffler. So if they want the dpf delete to be blind and look legit, there will be an iline muffler somewhere but you will hear noticeable exhaust and turbo through the stack like old school

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.