How much do you pay for your dispatching services???

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by syva, Nov 23, 2012.

1. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    You said two things that really struck a chord with me..

I've said it a million times. Nobody gives a crap about your business but you, and the even the best people can be really great at spending your money.

I think it's also known as a "gambling addiction" LOL. I truly hate sales, and I think it adds to my charm when dealing with brokers. Nothing more satisfying than giving a firm "no thanks" on a load I don't like, or accepting one that works for me.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    I guess I must not understand the benefits but I wouldn't even dream about paying a dispatch service to book loads from brokers. What's the point? If you don't want to or don't know how to negotiate and/or find loads why not just lease to a carrier? Seems like you'd end up at about the same $$ with less headaches and responsibility.

TequilaSunrise and rollin coal Thank this.
  4. Alf24

Alf24 Light Load Member

May 13, 2013
    There is a point! Dispatchers look out for the driver who is driving 2800 miles per week. Brokers do not look out for the driver as they feel there are a million more drivers where he/she came from. There are other reasons as well. For anyone else who looks at a Dispatch Service mark my words: Anything less than 10% is too little and anything more than 16% is too much. A company that charges a monthly fee instead of a percentage is NOT going to keep you loaded. I Promise you that. My experience is 8 years running a dispatch service. We charge 11% to 15% depending on area you are based out of. And then you pay a factoring company. The freight still pays better than if you cut out factoring and us, and dispatched yourself during down time.

Weagleweagle88 and Winnifred Thank this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Could you have me averaging at least $3.50 a mile, loaded miles only, on a weekly average of 1,500 miles including deadhead? With a 53' dry van? That's what you'd have to do to interest this self dispatched truck. I don't think any dispatch service can top what an individual who is determined and puts effort into it can do for themselves. My view of a dispatch service is someone who takes calls on possible reloads for my truck, forwards the calls to me, and allows me to take care of the finer details. In other words you fill in gaps when I ask for help. Have contacts and points I try to work around that I can call or call me with available freight for the most part. You would really enjoy how often I'd reject loads that you thought paid well and be shocked at how high some of these brokers will go from initial offering when given a proper arm twist. This is control I would never allow anyone over my truck, dispatching.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

6. Billerd

Billerd Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Colorado
    $3.50 a mile average with a dry van? Really?

Alf24 Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    On the loaded miles. Deadhead and percentage off the top puts it around $2.30 a mile to the truck on every single mile turned. I wish I could average $3.50 all miles.. ..with $4 fuel that's where we all should be - of course people will say on here they do great at half that rate or much worse.

8. jess-juju

jess-juju Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Shelbyville TN
    I know my Driver doesn't pay me near enough! :biggrin_25525:

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  9. Winnifred

Winnifred Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Some people just want to drive a truck and not deal with the headache of dealing with agents. Its not that they can't self dispatch, is more of an issue of is it worth it. If you can pay someone $25-$50 to take care of all the headache for you, why not?

10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You'll never know how aggressive you can push on rates that way. You'll never have a true feel for rates. They'll never price you out of anything. You'll roll and they'll get their cut but you've given away the most important part of your business.

DragonDriver305 Thanks this.
  11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    This is an important part of this business. If you don't want to deal with selling then don't become independent. It is less what you pay but the control that is lost.

DragonDriver305 and Lilbit Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.