how much does a new authority cost?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TRUCKER101ROOKIE, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Not paying $30k or more for insurance is a big plus.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TRUCKER101ROOKIE

TRUCKER101ROOKIE Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2023
    detroit, MI
    ohhh i see your point. lets say i open my own authority but i lease under another carrier for 1 year. would my authority be considered active for the 1 year i was leased under the carriers authority?

4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Letting your authority mature is not really common these days. When you pay 24k for the insurance, you want to use your authority. Leasing on you would be getting a percentage of the load via 100% while still paying for your insurance for the MC. Given that most brokerages will work with you pretty quickly, either lease on or go all in. Starting with 10k is not enough funds for a MC, shoot I don’t think 10k covered my chicken light bill my first year!

A reason to have your own authority is you can pave your own way. You can work on getting your own customer base and building something. Leasing on is a job. MC is a business.

Vampire, Ruthless and TRUCKER101ROOKIE Thank this.
  5. TRUCKER101ROOKIE

Jan 25, 2023
    detroit, MI
    how much money do you recommend i should save up for starting my own mc

6. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    I went through a 100k when I started last April. That included all down payments for insurance, truck & trailer. And all the other BS.
    I blew through 15k in 2 months on minor repairs and downtime.
    I blew my engine 2 months later. It cost 42k and 2 months to replace.
    Commercial equipment loans are very hard to obtain for startups, and come with a hefty interest rate. Doesn’t matter if you have perfect credit and 100k in the bank trust me.

Im not trying to discourage you in anyway as I like to see people succeed. However, take your time and do plenty plenty of research. I thought I knew what I was doing and I’ve been in trucking my entire life but I was definitely not prepared at all.

IMO you better have a stack of cash and work lined up.

7. TRUCKER101ROOKIE

Jan 25, 2023
    detroit, MI
    how old was ur truck when you bought it and with how many miles?

8. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    It’s a 2019 with 400k. I wanted one with less miles but the price of trucks being sky high at that time and along with me being a startup I had to put down 30% which would have killed my budget. I chose a less expensive option and put down 35k vs 75k.
    I bought it from Freightliner and added the warranty which saved me the 42k for the new engine. But the amount of downtime waiting on the dealer to fix it is crippling.

Example my EGR cooler went out this week, it’s covered under warranty. However, the parts are on national back order with no eta. So now I had to replace it with an aftermarket one or get it repaired. So I’m out $2500 and a week downtime.

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    First of all ask yourself if you’re gonna run California. If yes 60-100k in the bank after all expenses. Those def trucks are like the modern women.

If no. Then 40-70k in the bank. Pre egr and pre def truck. Older but cheaper to run and fix.

10. TRUCKER101ROOKIE

Jan 25, 2023
    detroit, MI
    Thanks for responding

Phoenix Heavy Haul Thanks this.
  11. TRUCKER101ROOKIE

Jan 25, 2023
    detroit, MI
    Gotchu thanks for responding

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.