How often can I do forced regeneration?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Battlecruiser, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Battlecruiser

Battlecruiser Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Just got my hands on OTR Performance module which can clear codes and do forced regen. I have a 2015 Volvo VNL780 D13. Would I damage something by doing forced regen once a day or maybe once a week?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    No, but why would you want to? It should be doing regens by itself as often as it needs to.

bzinger, flood and mhyn Thank this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I think he could do damage.
    Overheating the DPF and cracking the ceramic filters.

bzinger, flood, snowwy and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Battlecruiser

Nov 30, 2017
    Just curious, thought my truck would breath a little better. Also a guy on YouTube reviewed it and said that it would slightly improve my MPG and would increase the longevity of the whole DEF system by keeping the filter clean

6. Battlecruiser

Nov 30, 2017
    Yeah that's what I thought could happen.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    if you do regen very often you will lower lifespan of dpf filters..

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    That device is junk Here are the reasons why... It doesn't tell you the codes. If you require a FORCED REGEN you have something going on... The truck shouldn't require a forced regen.. Also doing more regens does nothing but ruin the DPF filter. You should invest in getting the software so you can see Temps and whats going on

9. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    You can pull up the codes for Volvo in the diagnostic menu on the dash without any tools, write them down and research them, then reset the codes. If you can go a few hundred miles before it derates, then you can reset the code and go a few hundred more and repeat until you can fix it.

The fuel mileage you gain by having your filters cleaned through a regen is probably wasted by performing the regen. In my opinion, you're taking a risk that your filter will become damaged by excessive heat too often. If it asks for a parked regen, but I choose to reset it instead, then I would force a regen later when I have the time to perform it.

Sometimes I get codes that pop up in cold weather that clear themselves after driving for a bit. I would rather use the OTR tool to reset them than to potentially get derated. It is better than unplugging the speed sensor, since your jakes will not work, you lose power (can't build as much boost), and E-logs will not switch to the drive line. The alternative is to take it into the shop and have them charge me $400 just to possibly tell me they don't know what the problem is.

ColumbiaBoB and Battlecruiser Thank this.
  10. Battlecruiser

Nov 30, 2017
    That's exactly why invested in OTR. I recently had engine derate and had to tow to my shop for repairs. I did disconnect the speed sensor but that didnt help much. When I disconnected the speed sensor, I drove for about 4 hours and when I slowed down for DOT Inspection it would switch me into full derate to 5mph.

If I had the OTR device at the time of my breakdown, it would've helped me out big time and saved me some money.

My shop mechanic said that my breakdown was a short circuit, I had a corroded wire which would not start my DEF pump

ColumbiaBoB Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.