How often do you do your pre trip inspections?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lightning01, May 18, 2020.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    rather, i think it's a tiny percentage of steering wheel holders that just are too dam lazy to protect themselves in case of an accident or DOT scale house inspection.

real professional drivers actually get up off thier butts and do a proper pre-trip, to help avoid costly accidents and lawsuits.

i ought to know, all my 48 years, i was a professional company driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    I'm sure you're joking but I find more defects on our new trailers than the old ones and a few of our tanks are from the early 70's. Back in the winter, one of our competitor's drivers showed me a broken shock mount he found on a 800 mile old tractor.

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Any time you get out of the cab, then anytime you want to go into the cab. Only takes 5 mins to do a enroute check.

D.Tibbitt, Lumper Humper and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Are you serious?

D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr., TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I only do pre-trips before every trip. The rest of the time I don't.

7. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I've never seen him make a serious post on here. Just talking Sh it like a troll.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Big Rig Max

Big Rig Max Light Load Member

May 19, 2019
    Wake up, walk towards drive tires & take a piss. Pre Trip complete.

D.Tibbitt and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    The sad part about that post is, with equipment today, it's entirely possible. Trucks and vehicles have gotten to the point, you can probably get away without inspecting your equipment, and might get away with it for a while. It shows what's become of the industry.

D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr. and buddyd157 Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have had this very same discussion with others before! Outside of brake issues, the largest problems that cause OOS issues, as well as accidents, are not caused by better equipment! I agree that today's trucks properly maintained are better in a lot of ways. It's just the thing that gets drivers in trouble are problems that arise out of road hazards. I have seen things like a rock bust an airline. Crap on the road can cut a tire so bad as to make it an issue if seen by a DOT cop. It is my opinion regardless of the trucks today, you can't account for avoiding a road hazard. Rocks and other crap can bust a light out. At a minimum, a driver should inspect their tires and lights at least 1 time a day OR anytime they hear something go "bump" under it. EDITED: I would also add this is impossible while listening to that latest music MP3 at a volume so high it shakes the truck!

As I have said now many times before. I know several Virginia DOT cops. To a person they make fun of drivers they have stopped. For some dang innate reason I can't comprehend, some drivers today ignorantly operate in such a way as to become fodder for these DOT cops. Then they start crying how bad DOT sucks! All I can do is shake my head!

201 and nredfor88 Thank this.
  11. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Gotta check the equipment, it's a must.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.