How often do you get DOT inspections?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by A Bug, Oct 5, 2014.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I started driving in 1996. From then until 1/2009 I probably had twelve inspections, level I and II. I went to another company and in the first ten months of 2009 I had eleven inspections. Two Level I and nine Level II. I got out of there and since then I've had just one level II. If you pull hazmat tanker, as I do, you should expect to get more attention from the DOT. When they look at your placards, they don't see four numbers. They see four $$$$.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    1st 7 years 1 level 1 in Va.....
    last 7 years roughly 11 level 2's and 1's.

2 of the level 2's were prompted by me cause once I was overweight, the other I was in the right hand lane, when thru traffic was suppose to be in left lane.

4. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Level I Montanna 2004
    Level III Colorado 2005 & 2006
    Level III KS 2009
    Level III NE 2009
    Level II Worthington, MN 2011 had Flammable placard

5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Every company has what is called an ISS score. Inspection Selection System. It's a scale from 1 to 100 with 1 being the best. That score starts out at 100 when you first become a motor carrier. When you pull through a scale your chances of being inspected are huge. Once inspected and if you pass that score goes way way way down. As time goes by your score keeps creeping up. Once it reaches 66 a light goes off in the scale house that an inspection is recommended.

Only a motor carrier can look at their score. You have to have an account and password on the FMCSA web site. It use to be public but they hid it because people were making decisions to hire a trucker based on that number.

Here's what it looks like

[​IMG]

6. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I don't usually get bothered or cross many scales for that matter (just something I learned hauling bulls)..

Last inspection I got was Roanoke, VA last winter...It was like single digit cold and windy, he did a level 5 anyway..

The truck I was in was going on 2 weeks old (bought new) so the nice clean appearing trucks don't get bothered is BS..

locogringo Thanks this.
  7. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    my trainer had picked up a freight liner right from the dealer bran new, scale on the 401 in Milton, ON gave it a full level 1. bran new truck 3 violations lol

zoekatya Thanks this.
  8. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I had 3 level 2 inspections in 3 days several years ago. When I complained on day 2, and on day 3, the answer given to me was " The other officer may have missed something, I need to double check". Total BS.
    I probabaly average 2 level 3's a year, probably a level 2 every 8 months, cannot remember the last level 1. Run only in Florida now-a-days, same officers see me every day.
    Had an older DOT officer check my truck several years ago, told me GOD told him to stop me. Gave me a Bible, prayed for me. Very different.

zoekatya Thanks this.
  9. locogringo

locogringo Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2014
    I've never did the big company thing guess I've always ran a lil outlaw, but had an old hand tell me when I was starting out that only 2 things happen at the chicken coops, something bad or nothing, but nothing good ever happens so why go. I try not to go through them. I've honestly in about 10 years never had a DOT inspection. Now I will tomorrow lol

10. Harley Tramp

Harley Tramp Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Keep a clean truck inside and out, good tires, all lights working, and a good personal apperance. Be polite to the officer, hand him neat paper work. Chances are you will be on your quickly without much trouble,

unloader Thanks this.
  11. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    One level 3 in IL. Scale was closed, but I got the red light on the pre pass.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.