How Per Diem works now

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Farmerbob1, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I get per diem regardless. About 25% of my per mile pay. I don't mind it. Anytime I can save on taxes I am up for it. You can still itemize job related expenses too.

06driver Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    They also lose the ability to deduct the pay that they pay you in per diem, which can is quite a bit. A $.01 reduction in pay to cover their costs is fair. Any more is a ripoff

4. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    What you just said is nonsensical. The per diem is paid by the employer without taxes! There isn't anything to deduct. It's like if your employer reimbursed you for a $50 uniform that you bought with your own money. The uniform reimbursement is not taxed and therefore there's nothing to deduct because it's NOT INCOME!

5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    And...Roger just summed up the entire site. :biggrin_25514: OK, we're done, shut down the server, last one out grab the JB Hunt gimme cap. :biggrin_2559:

6. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    Wow, I had no idea the law changed on this... so I guess I'd better call my tax guy and see what he suggests.

06driver and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
  8. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Any driver that has to file a schedule c can collect per diem. Go talk to a tax proffesional.

Any driver. This statement companies drivers are not allowed is not accurate. Only if the entirety of you income comes from W-2 wages is that correct.

9. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    No that is not exactly correct. Lets say this week I work for someone that provides a W2 and next week I work as a 1099 contractor or under my own authority. I will file a schedule C at the end of the year but I can't legally deduct per diem for the week I was an employee. You CAN do it but it's not the legal thing to do.

Use Schedule C (Form 1040) to report income or (loss) from a business you operated or a profession you practiced as a sole proprietor

Yes, go ahead and yell and call me a fool etc etc

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Only if you incurred legal perdiem expenses during the earnings of wages can you deduct against them.

If you drive as a company driver 300 days a year and work self employed 30 days, you can only take perdiem deductions for the 30 days you were self employed.

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    25% of the miles I drove were paid in per diem this year. Company driver. Others do it too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.