How the hell do u stay healthy?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Michigan1983, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Michigan1983

Michigan1983 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Been driving for 1 1/2 years and gained about 13 pounds..Was a health freak...worked out and everything...now im like f it....tired and hungry.

Tried subway...LOL..u aint going to stay fit eating that crap...honestly

Any tips

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michigan1983

Michigan1983 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Just to add...Trucking makes u lazy

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I have lost about 20 lbs in the past year.

You choose what you eat, and when.

Get a little lunchbox cooker, and heat up some soup. Add a peanut butter sandwich and you have a very healthy meal.
    Cook a baked potato, some baked beans, etc.
    Add some rice with the soup as it's cooking. Takes a bit longer, but it is filling and is good for you.

Have some bread with peanut butter and jam.

Cottage cheese and your favorite canned fruit.
    All you need is a cooler to go along with the cooker.
    A cooler lets you have milk, cheese, any other stuff that needs a fridge.
    I'd suggest the Coleman.

I just got off home time, and guess what I did?
    I made a big batch of chicken fried rice, and put much of it in microwavable containers.
    So now I have about 4 days worth of really good dinners.

The list is endless...

Of course, if you are too lazy to take care of yourself - all is lost.

Trucking does not make you lazy.
    The lazy thing, is entirely up to you.

Katatonic, Pop, ACH1130 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    what are you pulling?

perhaps try something more physical, Flatbed, LTL, dedicated account that you have to unload, or something of that nature.

I cant give any advice on diet i was always to lazy to cook in the truck.

American Trucker

6. EagerBeaver

EagerBeaver Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2012
    California
    Main things you wanna do is balance..
    balance your proteins / Carbs / and Fiber ... and you will stay lean.
    and remember.. plenty and plenty of water!! at least 3 water bottles worth of water a day.
    If you need caffeine drink fresh brewed tea.. no soda (either plain or with sweetener, or lemon... no regular sugar.. too much calories and bad carbs)
    Heres what I do..

Morning:
    Whey Protein shake /w a breakfast bar (i.e. Granola Bar) just something with fiber and slow burning carbs, and a Banana (Potassium is essential, in the morning.)

Lunch:
    Tuna Sandwhich (tuna in a zipbag, very easy to store and you can find @ walmart sweet and spicy is my favorite ^^) with some fruit, like a handful (i.e. apple, strawberrys ect.) and a low sodium regular V8 (canned V8's are easier to store on your truck)

Dinner:
    Can of Low sodium Progressive Soup (mix and match) again its easy to store and heat up to eat.

try not to eat then go right to sleep.. i know being in a truck thats hard to do.. but just try to walk after eating for a good 15 min.

I hope this helps ^^ if you or anyone have any questions feel free to message me.

Stay away from truck stop food.. for one.. its too expensive and its not healthy.

Peace!

Kit76, Katatonic, pjay and 2 others Thank this.
  7. PayCheck

PayCheck Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    ca
    A couple of things that help me stay thin are I rarely eat fast food, It's really hard but the most fattening thing you can cook in the truck is better the fast food. Those little hot boxes make great vegetable steamers.

Also park at the back of the truck stop, every little bit helps. Run on your down time, even if its just a mile before your shower. Ya everyone looks at you like you have a horn growing out of your head but you won't be the guy waddling into Dennys holding his chest. Driving is no different then being trapped at a desk, if you sit all day you get fat it doesn't matter what your job is.

It really sucks sometimes but a short run and no fast food can really help.

8. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    eat from the healthier selection at the truck stops, like the salad bar, and broiled/baked food, not fried.

Take a walk, and I DO MEAN walk around the truck stop parking lot, or nearby area. Walk for about 15-20 minutes. Do not be the A-Typical "truck stop door parking spot locator".

Park far away from the truck stop door, and WALK.

i have LOST weight doing these very things. In fact, even with my "dedicated run", when I show up for work every night?? I walk around the parking lot before my trailer is ready.

Katatonic Thanks this.
  9. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    I park as far away from the building at truck stops, also it helps to not eat anything being fast food unless salads.

Keep away from the soft-drinks

10. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Youre still very young, you dont count on this deal LOL. When you get older it all changes big time, and thats no joke.

OP, get out of your truck and walk. Park in the back of the truck stops every time. Take laps around the truck stop, or if you can walk in the neighborhood your at. Get your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes. Do it every chance you get. Be very careful what you order in subway, its easy to get fooled into thinking their food is actually healthy.

11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I try to avoid eating anything out of the truck stop.

(like the meals I buy are any better.)

I have been eating the ready to heat meals for the microwave in the truck. It's a start. At least 1/2 the cost.

I have since gone to an entree, veggie and a salad for my meals. It took me a couple weeks to get my cooler working for me. But now that it is, I bring sandwich meat and fixings with me for eating on the road. I make my sandwiches and then can have things healthy to eat.

I bring bananas, grapefruit, plums with me as well as fruit cups for meals and desserts.

I have lost 9 lbs in the 6 weeks I have been on the road since early March.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.