How to disable the stupid on guard system

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TriPac Dude, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Helowrenchturn2

Helowrenchturn2 Medium Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Title 49, Part 396.3 (a)(1)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Germanudo

Germanudo Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2014
    WV
  4. Csnemrod

Csnemrod Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Ok this is an easy fix and it will not get you fired for tinkering with equipment. With the ignition off, press both arrow keys on the right and hold them in. Start truck as normal, release buttons after truck is running.. the onguard system will remain off completely until you restart the truck. This will also disable the cruise control while the onguard is disabled.. I am still working on method of keppin the onguard to stay on the alignment screen as this will leave the cruise functional. Enjoy

izifaddag and mrdot Thank this.
  5. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    If it is covered with anything it should cause it to quit working properly. Anytime I hit a good puddle and water went up over it mine would flash red with error and no more on gaurd til I shut the truck off. But that meant no cruise for me. It can be annoying but you might as well get used to it and learn to use it to your advantage.

6. Csnemrod

Jul 14, 2015
    If you cover it and someone reports you this could get you terminated.. I would not suggest using anything to cover the sensor..the method I imposed does not report any error messages whereas covering the sensor does

mrdot Thanks this.
  7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    When mine disables I turn the cruise on.
    Then off on quickly and the crude will work.
    If you use the brake you can reset the cruise.
    If you turn off the cruise with the switch you'll have to do the on off quickly again starting in the on position.
    This works in my 2015 crapcadia

KB3MMX, Interstateskater and Csnemrod Thank this.
  8. Csnemrod

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes indeed..this works on my 2012 cascadia, just tested it...this is how drivers help drivers

9. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I have the same system, seems to work very well. You may need to have it adjusted.
    It gets a little annoying in traffic, and beeps when approaching an underpass, but works well other wise.

10. Csnemrod

Jul 14, 2015
    The problem is how do I know it needs adjusting. When it acts up.. it has recognized a car in the left lane twice and applied the brakes hard.. I can not afford this is the winter time at all.. this thing should not be active at all when the cruise control is off in my opinion. Simply dangerous..mine will stay bypassed as long as I drive a truck with it

izifaddag and CoveringBases Thank this.
  11. underdogg25

underdogg25 Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Hey guys, I am an O/O with a 2016 Cascadia. When we bought this truck it came with this annoying device. Had no idea it was so sensitive, intrusive, and down right annoying. For the last 2 months of driving with it, I am at my limit with this thing. Nothing but problems. Will have to try the aluminum foil trick. Nobody at Freightlner wants to disable it. I guess to much of a liability. Well beings I own the truck, I guess I should have a say right. Well anyone have any other suggestions? Beside the obvious sarcasm, I am a safe driver. My record shows that, so there & stuff. Have tried to cover the front with metal. It disabled the system but did not let me have my cruise back, even with the on/ off 3 times quick trick. But when the unit disables itself for whatever reason, when I'm driving down the road. The trick works for the cruise. Had it in the shop already and they adjusted it. Works fine for about that long and It just gets worse. Anyone with any constructive ideas out there? Thanks guys

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.