How to find the paint color of my truck

Discussion in 'Trucker Forum Classifieds & Trading Post' started by krebs11, Oct 31, 2012.

1. krebs11

krebs11 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I bought a western star and am fixing it up, and I want to touch up some of the paint, how do I go about finding the color of my truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    i went to my local auto paint store with a peice of my truck with paint on it and had them lazer scan it. when they mixed it up and painted it it matched perfectly.

4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Freightliner (Western Star is one of their brands these days) should be able to match the color via your VIN number - at least they did when I wanted some touch-up paint for the Century I used to run.

5. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    I am going to repaint my truck. I have the paint codes from DuPont. Superhauler, where did you get your part scanned? Did a paint code come up? Not sure if the old paint codes would still be applicable, or if fading of the paint would have any effect on the scan.

6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    i went to a carquest parts store where i live. no code they mixed it from the scan they did. i got a paint # for the mix so if i ever want some more mixed up i can just take the new # to them. like you said all paint fades the scaning matches it with the way the paint is at momment. oh yeah it was dupont paint mix.

Vampire Thanks this.
  7. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Thanks for the info. So I guess being it was a dupont paint mix, they should still be able to utilize the codes I have correct?

8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Was that Dupont's Imron you used? That is what Paccar puts on from the factory. That stuff is hard to get used to spraying if you are used to paint like PPG. It doesn't like to blend well either, they usually suggest for repairs to pick a body line and paint from there to the edge of the panel.

9. krebs11

krebs11 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Ohio
    ok I think ill go to freightliner and see what they say

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.