How to get the most money out of brokers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Feb 7, 2021.

1. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    219 loaded miles 2250. Pick Friday night deliver Saturday 2:00 a.m.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    No thanks to advertisement.
    BTW it don't matter what the load pays, it's a matter of principle that if you are gonna waste my time you are going to pay for it.

Now if it was communicated prior to accepting load that customer will take a long time to unload, that's a different story and can be negotiated into the rate.

4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Fri I got a broker that was desperate to cover a load from Lumberton NC to Lincoln NE for $3.08 a mile. Nothing special about the load. Some other company dropped the load on the broker and to salvage the load the broker came out of pocket. I usually do pretty good building relationships and taking care of those who take care of me. Build the relationships and money does flow for the most part. Just got to watch the gotcha loads.

fordconvert Thanks this.
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    This is a good way to roll but remember if you run load boards building relationships is only gonna happen one out of 100 times. Most brokers truly do not care about you. Just flip the equation. Do you care about them? Are you in this to make friends or money? They think the same.

I know you are saying that you prefer to do both and I certainly like working with brokers who feel the same but they are a needle in a haystack and they feel the same about you.

Deere hunter and JonJon78 Thank this.
  6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Managed to cultivate some good relationships, but like you said 99% don’t care

Deere hunter and 86scotty Thank this.
  7. V8-MACK

V8-MACK Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    If you have haz mat, twic card, Reefer. Driver with 30 plus yrs experience. You have a advantage. I have a couple pals that are brokers. They always say, they have trouble finding haz mat, reefer co,s. Haz mat liquid totes tear a truck up tho, much worse than a smooth bore tanker. 2 and 3 even plac card loads, gets a lot of dot attention.

8. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I didn’t read all the posts so I apologize if this was addressed

This is what I do
    I respect their business after all I’m trying to build mine and with guys hauling cheap why would they post higher rates?

So if the rate is low or even if not I always ask for more and 90% of the time I get it or don’t take the load

I don’t ask if they can do better. That gives them the ball. I give them all the info they need
    What I say is. I can do it for this $$ price. Load tomorrow AM and deliver by such and such date or whatever

I used to haul cars and if a broker or dealer thought I was too high I wouldn’t take the load
    But if the load went to say Cali what I would do is call that broker ( especially if I knew his load still didn’t move ) and say hey. I am in Cali and I know we couldn’t make that last load work but do you have anything here you need moved?

That did two things.
    It let him know his load could have been delivered and that at that point I was still willing to give him a chance
    If he was just cheap then we never did business

Also
    Once you build your business. Brokers will pay up
    We would see cheap loads from brokers we knew paid better
    Once we called. They would say. Oh, this is you guys. Sure. We can pay your rate

86scotty and lester Thank this.
  9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Never mind.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  10. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    300 loaded miles 1800. Pick Saturday deliver same-day. Deadheading home right now.

11. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Iv been unfortunate enough to work daily with guys in the broker biz, one of them is a former cheap and heavy boy. Brookers worship the customers they get , they act like truckers are part of their behind the scenes make it happen . They toss around words like "service" they invision trucking like some type of realtor who can offer clients free rides from house to house and buy the clients food. They absolutely hate contract freight, in their mind everything should be spot freight and brokers should have a finger in everything. Brokers are scared ####less of customers I know personally that brokers will pay out of pocket to keep a customer If they can't get the product moved for asking price , they hardly ever go back to ask a customer for more on a load. Anytime you work with a broker you are subject to low pay only thing you can do is go where there are no trucks and freight is moving out. Brokers say the truckers who do best always take the original offer a broker gives. We know that's ########, from what iv learned being around brokers is to get them in a jam and extort the #### out of them , when rates are low there's nothing you can do but dream about contract freight. Cheap freight does get moved but the trucking community would be shocked to see how brokers not saying no to customers causes the biggest storm. Customers want #### moved for free

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.