How to log

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Grandiego, Mar 2, 2008.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes I have and I guess you was in that converstation before :biggrin_25525:
    If not sorry but that was discussed. I just need to get off my lazy a&&
    and do it!
    I know I can bring you drivers a great training tool as i know what you want and I know what them log auditors want so I can do it, it's just the ummm time and the ambition!

Someone give me that ambition to do it, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tiledood

tiledood Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Heartland, Florida

You will be the envy of women world-wide, have so much money from the residual income you will find money useless and you'll fill a pool with it and swim in it. You will be respected, adored and cherished by men you have yet to meet. They will send you countless flowers, candies and proper and not-so-proper proposals. Your name will be a household word, monuments, colloges, scholastic funds and battleships will be named and christened in your honor. Eventually you'll even reach snigglet status- ie: "Wow, I just won the LogsRus" or "Wow man, that was really LogsRus, of you."
    Howzat?

(Maybe I should skip the driver idea and go straight into recruiting.)

:biggrin_25514:

4. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    C'mon over to my house... if I can't get you ambitious, I know my wife can. Fear does wonders for her job completion rating. :smt077

5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

AWWW THAT WON MY HEART :biggrin_25519:

Thanks I have been thinking about it, although I need to get a program of some kind that allows me to do drawings and video etc . I guess my main goal would be to do it online! We have 2 computer programs at work for daily logging/hos rules and I guess they really suck! (sorry to be so blunt).
    So that's my first savings. getting these darned old bills caught up would be my motivation to getting 'er" done. So I will try and focus this week and see what I can come up with!

I do want to do this for you drivers more so than anything!

I want you to hear some of the "TRUE" STORIES. And I want you to know the regulations that you should know! I may be wrong at times but at least I cover your butt and no one can take your money if you know my rules :).

I am female, I am always right:biggrin_2559:

I will try harder to get started :). Maybe getting canned from here for about 3 months might help me get it done, oh great I need your advices though:biggrin_25510:

6. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    I agree. The problem was, our dispatcher and those employees at the indoctrination made and still make a point to tell us, when we're not driving, log as little as possible on line 4. And they stressed we are considered relieved of duty unless doing actual work for the company. That was to include sleeper birth time(unless on line 2), meals, showers, or time altogether off duty. The dispatcher made the point after this issue was brought to his attention, we could be on line 1. The thing is, the left and right foot are almost never in step with each other with the company. If I'm riding down the hwy in the passenger seat, I have no work going on, as the truck is moving, but I ain't steering or shifting. Seemed normal to be on line 1 at that point. Good to see your view though. It really does match mine as to what was actually happening.

One other thing I had to wonder about. When the primary driver was on line 2, the secondary driver could fuel the truck(using primary drivers' employee number). If primary is on line 1, logs would put that driver on line 4, even though driver #2 was logging as current driver. Problem I have with that is two-fold. #1, they cannot legally change my log. #2, they never said before, driver 1 must be on line 2 in order for drvier #2 to fuel the truck. All these changes require log corrections, which they would(and did) refuse to do. All the while, they had already relieved driver #1 from duty.

The end result; the company seemed to be breaking federal law by forcibly changing(correcting) a drivers log. According to a DOT officer I asked in FL, that is definitely illegal. Maybe one or both of us has a misunderstanding of the law, but it seems we're correct. As far as I know, only I can legally correct my log.

7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
  8. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Ok! Lets make sure we are clear ok.

If you are team: The non driver is in the front seat, this is on line 4. Unfortunately that's DOT regulation and bust many drivers for this violation.
    However I can't prove you are in the front seat.

Fuel: Whoever is doing the fuel should be logging this as line 4. If you are using your co-drivers fuel card unfortunately all DOT & the company is aware is who's fuel card is being used. Usually DOT looks at each logs to see who did the fueling. It is my company policy you should not share fuel cards, however if it needs to be done for some reason make a note on the logs sheet at the time of the driver's fuel card being used so the auditor knows the co-driver used the partners fuel card.

A company can relieve you of all responsibility for showers, meals, shopping etc. Just keep in mind "some" Federal DOT officers state almost anything you do will take a mininmum of 15 minutes on line 4. That's up to the company, however I hate for them to get busted by not having drivers log line 4.
    I was kind of warned to work on getting drivers to log the line 4 when they should, but he audit was awesome :).

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

POST-TRIP LINK
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.asp?section=396.11

PRE-TRIP LINK
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.asp?section=396.13

Understand you should follow company policy, however you need to work on your company if they are saying the pre-trip is the main inspection.

Most DOT officers look to see you have one of the inspections on line 4.
    The point is if you inspect your truck right now and sleep 10 hours what can really go wrong? Well you should inspect what could "really" go wrong and make sure there is no flat etc. Then sign on that everything is ok (on the post-trip inspection) and you are on your way and should be safe if you spent quality time on your post-trip inspection.

So yeah I agree with you, I just quoted because the links didn't allow you to link to the individual regulations :biggrin_25517:

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Personally, I prefer the pre-trip. Reason, is because I start the day knowing the base for where my truck stands. The tires are all checked, pin locked, any fluid leaks.

If I were to rely on the post-trip when I am tired or in a hurry to go to bed, alot of the important things might get skimmed over.

Just my preference.

11. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am glad you are that way :). But think of these drivers that say ok I don't have to do a post-trip technically, then it comes time for their 10 hour break to be up and boom they get behind the wheel in a rush to make the money.
    So I DO see BOTH WAYS and I feel to many of my situations are happening.

I personally don't see what the fuss is as long as you have one a day either at the end or before driving. I would be happy :). But like I said I wonder how many drivers do this. Hey lets do a survey on that? really I am curious!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.