How to log

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Grandiego, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I have seen some of the pretrips and post trips that are made.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    The company I was talking about requires 15 for pre-trip and nothing for post. And they force the log that way, regardless, at the beginning of the day(before logging a moment of drive time. I agree based on the fact, I'm bound to be more concerned about the condition before I begin driving than I am after parking the truck. Besides, when I wake up and prepare to drive, I'm not tired anymore and therefore, not as likely to miss anything.

That company also assigns only one fuel card per truck, team or solo. All fuel issued goes to that one card, no matter who actually adds the fuel. If you're reading into this, you can easily figure out the company in question. But then, they do several things they shouldn't, like changing a drivers log without permission and refusing to change the log at the request of the driver... The only person allowed to legally make such changes. At least, that's how I understand the law. Only I can change my log without breaking federal law. A dispatcher or log department has no such authority. They do it their way and I believe it will bite them in the butt at some point. I warned them several times to never change my log without my written permission and indeed, my signing off any change personally. My concern was getting me in trouble, knowing they would do all they could to shirk responsibility.

4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Wow! No they should not change your log in any way! They can not even change it if you tell them to!

I guess the fuel card is ok! We used to do that also but stopped because "not sure why". I know it had something to do with another driver getting ripped off.:biggrin_25511:

5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    The log is a legal document. The ONLY person allowed to make changes is the individual who signed it.

However, the company is allowed to ammend it. That means: attaching a document to the unchanged original. (this is from hearsay - nothing in the FMCSR about it that I can find. What say you, Logs?)

I don't find anything in the FMCSR about the company making their copies available back to the driver - that might be a state law or company policy thing. I'd sure like copies of my company log file at the end of the year - just for completeness sake, if nothing else. If I suspect the company of jiggering and adjusting, I'd REALLY want it. It's my butt on the line, after all.

6. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

The company might attatch something to the log to prove the driver really did something other than what the document said or possibly make the driver send in a "Corrected Log" showing what the driver actually did which might help prove they really was or wasn't over their 11,14 or 70 hour rule. Both logs must be kept though and the new log should say "corrected Log"

I only keep information for the last 6 months (DOT requirment) anything after 6 months is purged. If the driver needs a copy I am glad to give them what I have. They might get lucky and I haven't purged for 8 months (usually it's rare :).

Drivers should keep a copy or their original (if they do Truck stop scanning) for 10 years for tax purposes and to not rely on the company to keep them:biggrin_25513:

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Actually, records for taxes are only required to be kept for 3 years.

In the case of fraud, indefinately.

8. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I know I have to keep my portion of the log.. I'd just be asking for copies to see what has been amended, etc.

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am telling you a driver called me begging for a copy of her logs and she is like the IRS wants 10 years ago. I do know it's # least 7 years!
    Now lets not get into criminal issues. Many times if they feel you are a suspect they don't catch up with you way later down the road "if you are lucky". You may not even realize you are being accussed of a criminal issue but them logs can sure save your butt "hopefully" in cout.

The logs are a "legal" document. If they say you are in Laredo and someone says you are in Indy robbing a bank them logs prove you wasn't there! Unless other wise proven differently of course.

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

I am an enrolled agent to practice before the IRS. I have done income tax returns professionally since 1978. The IRS rules are as I stated. If she was trying to get info from 10 years ago, then there are other problems.

I have dealt with many IRS audits over the years, and they are rarely over 2 years in the past.

There are many other ways of proving where you are at other than logs.

11. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Not always is there other ways to prove your location. Logs is a legal document and can answer them "where are you questions"

As for the drivers calling and asking maybe they lied but I had several drivers call for 10 years back and then the normal within the last 2 years.
    Either way the drivers should NOT throw away their copy of logs for I would say # least 7-10 years. But each driver can chose what they want to save. Just remember logs only keep them for 6 months and they are trashed!
    Other documents are longer but again not sure how long

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.