How to make it as an owner operator

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Gunz444, Jul 22, 2012.

1. PSUMoose

PSUMoose Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Tieton, WA
    I'm running on a lease as a trainer for Central ref. I have no desire to buy this truck after seeing all the students learn to shift in it. I am making quite a bit ($2000+/wk) so I am storing most of my money away to buy my own truck and trailer when my lease is up in 2 yrs. I am a researcher and am glad I found this thread. Can you all suggest some other threads and resources to help me find loads, what some good insurance companies are, suggestions on running under my own authority or leasing on with a company. Like I said this is still a few years out so any help will be well researched and appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    What are the things you make sure are in a contract with a broker? Lumpers? Detention Pay? That sort of thing. :biggrin_2551:

4. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    One thing you will want to learn?, is how much freight pays, dont let the brooker quote you, they all will try and low ball you if they can, and if you quote them?, you better be in the ball park, because they will know you have no idea and take advantage of that

PSUMoose Thanks this.
  5. newly crusin

newly crusin Medium Load Member

6. Gunz444

Gunz444 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Florida
    I would love to meet an O/O who never uses the boards but has more contract freight than they can handle. The boards are used for moving spot freight, but it isn't all cheap in my experience. There are costs and issues working contract freight. If you are talking about running under someone else's trailer (power only) then that might be a way to compromise, but the rates for the Power Only deals I have investigated left me wondering why I would ever do it.

be careful on the arguing, not for my sake, but the moderators are a bit touchy. If you want to say something, go right ahead.

7. bserious

bserious Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2012
    thinking about moving back to s/w florida, found a company down there for o/o, called fast florida freight (flat bed company) do u know anything about this company, i miss living in FL

8. catrucker916

catrucker916 Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2012
    So you're telling me you're booking $2/mile+ OUT of FL?

MNdriver and chalupa Thank this.
  9. catrucker916

catrucker916 Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2012

$2k a week at Central Ref? Riiiiight

10. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    you are selling a service, not driving a truck.

11. PSUMoose

PSUMoose Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Tieton, WA
    If you noticed I said I am a trainer. $2000+ is very doable, as I get paid for all the miles the student drives and I do not have to pay him. We run 4500-5000 mi per week. If you can't pull $2k out of that your doing something wrong.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.