How to Prevent Leaf Spring Shifting?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Dec 9, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

My steer axle leaf spring on the passenger side is shifting (image below). The one on the driver side hasn’t shifted much. I got some new leaf springs installed about 2 months ago. How much shifting is normal? My steer tire wear is looking okay so far.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    U-bolts might have loosened up.

Diesel Dave and PE_T Thank this.
  4. Crappy Pic but you can see the way it works IMG_20181208_211128.jpg

Oxbow, Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Who sells those? I hear they don’t really work in the long run.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    My last truck was a cascadia and it had them on the springs... they worked fine for me..

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  7. This is on a 2009 peterbilt 386

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I want a better look at that spring from a different angle especially near the spring eye
    Im very good with springs- Your U-bolts have to be really tight -Like 350-400 FT LBS

Rideandrepair, Diesel Dave and PE_T Thank this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I have these two other images of the same leaf spring. The one showing the u-bolt is the side of the leaf spring closest to the front bumper. The leaf spring is sticking out by about .5 to 1 inch.

Will try to get better pictures. The previous leaf spring I had on the passenger side also shifted like this one. Maybe there is something wrong with the brackets. The reason I replaced the leaf spring was bacause my truck was leaning toward the passenger side. The mechanic had said that the leaf spring had flattened. The new leaf springs really did help with the leaning.

Attached Files:

10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I want to see your spring eyes-These pictures don't show too much-I see where it spread on first pic-

The spring eye (Where your shackle bolts to frame and your Pins and Bushings get the Most abuse from all your turning you do while loaded.....Those are to be Greased and Checked regularly-

You U-bolts in the center section bolt to your Steering beam- those Need to be Very Tight,VERY TIGHT......Anything Loose will cause Popping noises and premature spring sag and spreading of the spring-By which seems to be your complaint.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Rust and corrosion act like a lubricant of sorts too. When I do springs and stuff like that I buff off all the rust on the mating surfaces of the parts. Helps keep everything together tight.

Dino soar, Oxbow, Jazz1 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.