How to shift a 5 and 4

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by slim66, Oct 18, 2008.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Being older than dirt I've driven a few. Here's the last one this Summer. 56 kw 5&4. Showed 3 younger drivers the ropes. It's like riding a bike,, right.
    Kw56.jpg

Wargames, rank and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jensen

Jensen Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Is shifting a 6x4 similar to a 5x4?

4. Jensen

Jensen Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Is the 6x4 a faster setup?

5. Jensen

Jensen Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Are the hp/torque ratings similar?

6. Jensen

Jensen Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I have a 3408 with 700 hp/2800lb torque.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Reminds me of a yard jockey mack with two sticks. with 4 and 4 in each box you had something like 16 gears to work with. Arm goes through the wheel which is something you chose very very very carefully. In those days if you hit anything with that steer at any kind of a angle it has the power to whip that 5 foot wheel and spokes to do you some serious damage.

The few times I had a taste of it, I just stick it into a reduction deep enough to not fall out of gear or lug out to and from the tamko yard about half a mile from the yard in those days. Call me lazy but I had much to learn even from those old twins and it will take me a while to learn it, when I was formally offered the yard jockey job at a nice hourly salary. I think it was 15 a hour however many hours plus overtime you worked each week no logs either. Just show up at 4:30 and be at Tamko early in the frost and cold to get loads on the trailers you set aside in the far corner that day. Might be 6 loads might be 30. But there is plenty to go around.

The one pair of trailers NO one touched ever outside of the Company President and his Number One driver were the Memorial Statues and Maryland Base being shipped on a flatbed plus a North American Dry van from Arizona where it was cast and worked out prior to being established permanently on the hill above the original Visitors Center in Gettysburg PA.

Back to twin sticks and so on. There is usually a large stainless plate that had some age to it, in this case since the truck was built sometime in the early 60's The one thing I remember well from that particular truck. Not a speck of computer anything and it was stone cold reliable all year. Nothing was broken or abused on that tractor. Im pretty sure they filled the fuel once a month and aired the tires about that time and that's about as far as it got or needed to. One of the best trucks in the fleet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.