How to store stuff in your side box

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by petrolK9, Apr 15, 2020.

1. petrolK9

petrolK9 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Well, I've been around for awhile, as a driver. But I am seeking advice on how to store stuff, especially oil and coolant in the side box without it falling over and sliding around.

Most of the storage containers I have come across do not fit into that space. I realize if I put enough stuff in there it would not fall over and slide around. That's what I've done in the past. But I like to have enough space so I have easy access and can grab what I need without having to pull other stuff out.

I realize I could construct something. But I figure some of you have dealt with this and have an easy solution.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    What truck, what side box? I do what you say you do. I carry so much sh==, it can't fall over.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You can use bungee cords or some rope to wrap around all your bottles that way they don’t tip over.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Get a bungee cord. Loop round a few items and hook em. They should stay together now.

Find a plastic milk crate. Toss everything loose in to it.

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    That's the problem, he doesn't want them to tip over. hahaha

HoneyBadger67, magoo68 and PE_T Thank this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It was a spelling error, but you were joking. Hahaha.

xsetra Thanks this.
  8. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Not sure what kind of truck you have but I use an old plastic milk crate in my volvo side box, fits perfectly

9. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    i use 2 plastic storage bins that sit side by side, without much room to move around. The sides are 5"-6" tall, so things inside stay upright. The lower heighth also lets me grab something out, instead of having to first take the whole bin out to get at something.

Any extra space, shop towels fill it up. A bungee across the front about 2" from the bottom of the door keeps anything from sliding into the sidebox door.

ky waldo and petrolK9 Thank this.
  10. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I use old cardboard oil case boxes usually cut a couple inches off the top of the box. I put a gallon of anti freeze a gallon of oil and a gallon of ww fluid along with a few tubes of grease in them and replace as needed. Got a few with other things in them too. Drag em out with my pin puller if I can’t reach. Tools all stay in their original cases. Or if no case go in a box. And I keep 3.5 bags of chains on the passenger side as well.

gentleroger, SoulScream84 and petrolK9 Thank this.
  11. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    The first time you have a gallon of gear oil wear a pinhole in the bottom youll wish you stored liquids in a little rubbermaid plastic tote like i do [now that ive cleaned that gallon up.]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.