How will DOT know if I have ELD or not?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by RJ_Jones, Dec 15, 2017.

1. RJ_Jones

RJ_Jones Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Just curious because you can still use many eld apps without it actually connecting to the trucks ecm. Keeptruckin is one in particular that I know of. I can put it in dot inspection mode and lock the screen so the inspector can see nothing but the 8 days of logs.

Ecm data port already has something plugged in there. What other proof can they possibly ask for?

TallJoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What electronic logging device (ELD) user documentation must be onboard a driver’s commercial motor vehicle?
    PreviousNext

Beginning on December 18, 2017, a driver using an ELD must have an ELD information packet onboard the commercial motor vehicle (CMV) containing the following items:

1. A user’s manual for the driver describing how to operate the ELD;
    2. An instruction sheet describing the data transfer mechanisms supported by the ELD and step-by-step instructions to produce and transfer the driver’s hours-of-service records to an authorized safety official;
    3. An instruction sheet for the driver describing ELD malfunction reporting requirements and recordkeeping procedures during ELD malfunctions; and
    4. A supply of blank driver’s records of duty status (RODS) graph-grids sufficient to record the driver’s duty status and other related information for a minimum of 8 days.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think most CMV cops have a pretty good idea who has been on eLogs for a long time, and who probably hasn't

bzinger and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    I believe he would be able to tell, because the ECM provides information that is outputted to the compliance report, which if missing, is a dead giveaway that it is not connected to the truck's ECM.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  6. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    They can ask for proof that it is connected up. Showing an active Bluetooth connection to the device might suffice, also The behavior is different if it is connected. If the device is not connected they could fine you.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The last inspections I've had, it's been when I open the door and he looks in the cab and goes " Oh, I see you're on e log."

You better have the card that tells the occifer how operate / download your logs for whatever unit you have, or that's a violation. Mine came with two.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So you show them an ELD box fixed to the dashboard, bunch of cables hanging from the ECM box and Elogs on you your phone...but in fact these are fully editable logs, just like paper logs.
    :biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525::biggrin_255::biggrin_255:
    Could someone get away for a while with that sham, pretending to be on elogs? Will they all know or care how to detect the deception right away, starting 12/18? But no, I don't think it is a good idea, though - too naive.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  9. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    I looked at the instruction card for my ELD, it tells the officer how to determine at a glance whether or not the device is properly connected. Might be difficult to hide a disconnected device status.

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I'm waiting for Trunk Monkey to release their CMV/DOT upgrade.

Hammer166, whoopNride and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Hell, I could get away with claiming "exempt" and showing TODAY's paper log and nothing more. Left this morning for a rare excursion outside of the 100 air-mile radius. Don't have logs for the previous 7 because I was exempt under the 100 air-mile exception. Hard to argue otherwise when I'm in a day cab and every piece of paperwork I have in the truck supports my claim.

Even if I am running an ELD, I'll probably claim "exempt" status whenever possible just because I can. Just because I'm not required to run it doesn't mean I can't, and if the regs say I don't HAVE to have something, why would I hand it over?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.