How will this speeding ticket affect me when I go Owner Operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Plsdontflip, Oct 13, 2021.

1. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i got a 67/35 in my pv a few years back. before that i couldn't tell you how many tickets. i only ended up in court twice, but the driving infraction portion of my record online is 3 pages long lol.

i don't think it will matter. as long as you have money you can do whatever you want. it hasn't affected me in the least. my employer didn't seem concerned at the time & when i changed jobs 4 years later, not a word was spoken about it.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I used to think that it was a revenue thing in my little town, a 2 lane US Highway 1 mile from the Interstate. Speed limit is 45 miles an hour from the interstate to city limits, then 35 in town, all clearly marked, even with a flashing speed limit sign that says thank you when you get below 35. I now agree with the limit.

Within the 35 zone there are 2 convenience food stores, a Dollar General, Insurance agency, an IGA, an elementary school within 1 block, and the rest filled with houses on 1/4 acre lots. And an intersection with another US highway.

The 35 mph limit is a valid safety issue here. If it had happened in this town, he would have been immediately arrested, car impounded . It is that important, because we have had several serious accidents caused by this very behavior.

15 over on an interstate, 81 mph in a 65 zone, which is a potentially disqualifying CDL event is looked upon very differently by insurance companies, safety directors and the like than this one. I think the OP is beginning to realize that. Stay put, put in the time to develop a little more maturity. You will come out of it a better man. My old terminal manager used to say "I am hiring good judgement, I can't train for that, I can train for everything else"

I too took some "liberties" early on (age 17 in NJ, racked up 11 points in 6 months, almost lost the license as soon as I got it). I learned. It paid off in my trucking career. Maybe 3 speeding tickets in 45 years, all during the 55 national speed limit craze before 1996, all doing less than 65 in a 55. I now drive 75 mph legally on highways that I was cited on back then. Now that was a bone fide revenue producer, no safety issue involved, as you old timers will remember....

4. Todd_Walker

Todd_Walker Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2021
    This will be a little late to help the OP but you can ask for a jury trial with a speeding ticket. Those pictures of the covered sign might not convince the judge, but they might sway a jury of your peers.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I recently threw away a copy of my Record from 40 yrs ago. It was 3 pages long. I had a real lead foot. Cost Me a lot more than the fines, in lost wages due to suspensions. One thing I’ve learned is once you have a ticket, it’s very hard to get a break, when pulled over again. Be careful, don’t get another. Don’t speed at all. That’s the only way to win.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Depending on the State. Sounds like he’s in Illinois. In Michigan, Since about 1981, all Traffic violations are civil infractions. Meaning you’re found guilty by a preponderance of the evidence. As in the Officers testimony. Not beyond a reasonable doubt. Big difference. I’ve heard of hiring a Lawyer to get a case reopened. Have to convince a Judge to reopen it, and takes at least 9 mos. probably more than a yr. if at all. Useless. Just have to wait it out.

7. Todd_Walker

Oct 16, 2021
    I'm glad I live in SC. It seems the right to a trial by jury should be nationwide if the 6th Ammendment of the Constitution still means anything. You're being accused by the government. The government is trying to take your money and possibly have a detrimental effect on your livelihood. It seems that a just system wouldn't place that much power solely in the hands of a judge that receives his paycheck from the same government that is making the accusation.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree. Louisiana’s the best State. No point system at all. Just pay the fine, keep speeding. Also explains all the crazy Drivers.

9. Todd_Walker

Oct 16, 2021
    I wasn't aware they had that kind of system. I've read about the high insurance rates in Louisiana. That could explain that to a degree.

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    My small town too. Don't use some fancy outside lawyers, use the guy in town just down the street from the courthouse Lol. He's goes golfing with the judge and all his buddies

Midwest Trucker and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  11. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    This post sounds familiar

did you post one just like it a while back ?

Anyway.
    Never NEVER NEVER ! Plead guilty and pay.
    Always always ALWAYS get a local
    Attorney .

it’s just revenue collection for the town , and once you get the ticket , you’re gonna pay the money .

a lawyer can almost always get it reduced to no points on your record , and usually to no record of it at all.
    By asking for a suspended sentence in exchange for not demanding a trial and taking up a lot of the judges and cops time in court .

In my state you can ask to have the case moved to state court , so at least the judge and prosecutor don’t work for the same money hungry podunk town as the money hungry cop does.

you can also ask for a jury trial for a traffic ticket .

but the best thing is to just hire a lawyer and let them make two phone calls and get it reduced , suspended or dismissed with a small fine .

chevyryder86 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.