How will you handle getting Corona virus while OTR?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Moneyhungrytrucker, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Now wait a minute??? Are you saying the virus is discriminatory???

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    My sister just mentioned to me how we truckers are much more appreciated now due to this virus.
    Not from her so much, but people she talks to.
    Because we are still on the job and delivering the loads that people need so much.

But from her end she is grateful as well.
    IKEA is shut down except for a small staff in the store to support their own, and internet sales with delivery.
    Trucks still come in every day making deliveries so they can deliver to customers, which keeps the store solvent and she does not lose her job - along with everyone else there.

If you simply must panic over a new little virus, then do so. Run and hide if you will.
    But unless you die from it...
    Whatever doesn't kill you just makes you stronger.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    No the CDC is.

Linte_Loco and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  5. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Oh Lord!! :eek::eek: its Chinas gift to the world !!

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Right now my terminal is hundreds of miles from home. A few months ago it would have been 20.

But really?
    Try to infect others for vengeance?
    Despicable.
    That is truly the product of a sick mind.

7. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Of course not, being facetious. Maybe if they are not understanding the seriousness of the pandemic and your being in the most vulnerable group, it's time to find another employer when all this is over.

8. Soundx3Soljah

Soundx3Soljah Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    I’m taking a different approach to this question. The likelihood of an otherwise healthy driver under 60 experiencing serious symptoms from this illness is relatively small. Meanwhile, nearly every other sector of the economy is closed for business. No money or jobs for workers, and many bills that still have to be paid. What you’re likely to see is an insurgence of new and returning drivers, all flocking to a private sector that still needs just as many drivers as ever, if not more. Companies that once begged drivers to stay will be more than likely to have their pick of drivers. For drivers, the old “I need this or I’ll quit” routine won’t get you anywhere anymore. In other words, demanding an action plan or time off from your mega or even your mid size probably won’t get you much except for an “if you don’t like it, there’s the door” kind of response. This’ll be great for companies, not so much for disgruntled or sub par drivers. But that’s just my two cents

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  9. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    What he said above my post. And that influx of new or returning drivers who left for greener pastures in the past are what will keep rates and wages low. Thus I call them “scabs”.

I guess this is the point in this thread where we get off topic!! Lol

10. Soundx3Soljah

Soundx3Soljah Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    I tried to keep it as close to topic as possible, but for me this is a lot more concerning than what might happen on the very off chance I get seriously ill on the road. Unlike Covid complications, these economic depressions aren’t hypotheticals, they’re really happening to almost everybody. Those newbie drivers who quit after 60 days because they wouldn’t team and couldn’t afford 600 a week will gladly come back and work for half that if that is their only option. I’m surprised the only two advocacy groups we have in trucking have largely stayed silent about this. It could easily turn the industry on its head, especially for O/Os who simply can’t afford to move cheap freight...

aaronpeterbilt3787 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.