How will you handle getting Corona virus while OTR?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Moneyhungrytrucker, Mar 22, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Human trials have started last week. I understand that Antigen path is also promising as well as growing vaccine via tobacco plants in bulk in a huge scale rather than eggs that could mutate them. Vaccine can be ready as little as 50 days.

The battle will be won and lost at the ventilator. As your lungs get infected the body brings more fluids to carry away the damage while providing repair and so on. once the internal lung breaches to the blood, you start to drown in your own blood and fluids.

Thats where the ventilators come in. Also sedation by chemical those who are experiencing extreme drowning trying to take the tube keeping them alive out of the mouth.

I already have lung damage from trucking that the MRI recoded a decade ago and confirmed. One of my parents died by infection in the exact same zone of the body combined with a bad chest wall on me can be a real problem. When I was a infant they installed three needles into the main femoral artery of my 5 month old premature leg by surgery. the smallest on the planet (The needles were made special order)

Into it they provided a slurry containing oxygen to bypass my lungs for a week. I would either live or die while three technicians manually made sure none of the three needles pushed or pulled any more than what my heart was doing every second 24/7 manually (No computers in those days yet, mid 60's)

There is a hole in my leg to this day and scar tissue around the artery. But they did go to extremes in those days.

When faced with the corona and the problems pertaining to respitory failure and drowning by fluid I probably will decide enough is enough and thats that. There would still be a list of things left undone, but don't we all?

Regarding family here in Arkansas I have none. Its just me. There are blood kin around the USA that would qualify as family, but we have lived our own lives so many decades that we are strangers essentially. I do have a ex who functions as my caregiver and when I endured the h1n1 I did it in isolation from her for three weeks, it was another month before she calmed down on the protocol of masking and gloving up followed by disinfecting etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Yes, you can drive your big rig to the hospital and park it.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  4. Moneyhungrytrucker

Moneyhungrytrucker Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2017
    OK then Lets assume I am sick right now and need to get to the hospital right away (I am not sick) I am in Harrisburg PA at the moment. Show me a hospital I can drive my 53' trailer to and park it on google maps satellite. I will wait.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If I may! I don't think that comment was trying to say anywhere in the US in all situations you can drive to a hospital, you can't 100% of the time. It's just possible if everything else is right. I remember dropping a trailer and bobtailing to an ER years ago. I actually parked the bobtail in a bank parking lot, fully expecting to find it had been towed. It was not, thankfully!

6. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    AGREED!This is the ticket.

7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The vaccine was worse. Almost killed a man I knew.

BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  8. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    Yes sir.i sat in Tulsa 4 days with that crap.It finally passed.

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I don't know.

I just know Ive done it twice when my codriver got sick. Parked it for the night, never had a problem.

Nurses told me its fairly common. Truckers get sick too.

I had the trailer attached and everything. Drove right into the parking lot.

10. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    News flash: All Drivers Are Disgruntled, Some Hide It Better Than Others

So the servitude to the company will continue is what you're really trying to say. I know the companies would have the autonomous trucks ASAP given a choice over a driver.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your attitude in every post on this forum shows your disdain for the trucking industry. When this is over I hope you are able to move far from it and find something that you can be content with.
    ALL drivers are not disgruntled. For you to think that says something about places you have chosen to work for. There are a lot of good trucking jobs out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.