Howdy all!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Sysop6oz, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Sysop6oz

Sysop6oz Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Little Rock, AR
    I've been lurking and reading on here for awhile and decided to join in. The plethora of information is outstanding!

I’ve had my CDL for about 22 years, but IT lured me in for the last 15 years or so. I’m an IT Security Analyst, and a certified ethical hacker. Unfortunately people don’t care (or pretend it can’t happen) about IT security, or if they can be hacked / how here in AR. The last job I had fought me tooth and nail on an IDS/IPS system so I built a custom Linux Server for next to nothing to get around the CFO.

They jacked me on my pay and I was tired of my 2 teammates doing nothing so I left. Six months later they are in the news about a breach involving 250k patients data. The new security guy took out my server the week after I left...

Long story short, I’m burned out and I miss driving. I need a change of pace and some cash to move my family. I want more for my kids if they stay in the state we live in, and AR isn’t it.

I’m a HAM radio op (take it easy on me haha) and I use it to storm spot for our local NWS. I also train in the MARS program with the Army for national diasters. This is all volunteer work but I enjoy it, especially the rush during storm seasons.

Anyway, I’m glad this is here as it’s helping me get up to speed on changes in the industry and possibly to narrow down who I’d like to sign on with.

Thank you everyone!
    RM

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Welcome.
    Good news is that you already have your CDL.
    The bad news is that you haven't used it.
    What that will likely require is a short refresher course.. (possibly not).. but you'll definitely be sent out with a trainer to knock the rust off.
    You'll also have to recertify medically.

As far as the HAM radio aficionado... that doesn't bother the few of us that actually still use the Citizens Band at all.
    You're a pro and conduct yourself as one.
    It's the Yahoo's on base stations that get on just to clog the airways and aggravate that we want to triangulate, search out, and roll up in old carpet and leave under felled logs in the forest.

You can probably pick about any company you'd like to get started again.
    Stay away from the "starters", because you are obviously not an unproven burger flipper "I think I can drive a truck and make $1million" guy.

Check out bigger, established operation, such as Crete.
    They pay above average, and are said to keep you moving as much as possible.
    You want to avoid downtime.
    That doesn't pay.
    @Chinatown surely will have better suggestions for other places to restart.

Do be aware that the roads are now flooded with morons.
    It has become horrible.

Sysop6oz and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene Motor Express will probably hire you right now. They have a real good refresher course for people in your situation. One guy last week went with Abilene and I think he also had been off the road for 15 years, but still had his cdl.
    [​IMG]

Sysop6oz and Chrisnva Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Puppage is still "chompin' at the bit" to leave IT and hit the road. He'll probably comment on your post.
    You'll get lots of recommendations on good places to live since the drivers that post on here are from all over the country. I'm from Tennessee, but wanted t relocate so narrowed it down to Austin, Texas or Las Vegas, Nevada. As with you, was looking for a good place for my family, and now settled in Nevada.
    No personal income taxes or food taxes in Nevada. No personal income taxes in Texas either.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @JohnBoy is one of the trainers at Abilene Motor Express. He can give you some info on what to expect, drug tests, physical, etc.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  7. Chrisnva

Chrisnva Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I will be starting orientation the week of the 17th at Abilene. Seem to be great people. I’m working with Trish. Seem to be straight shooters and don’t promise the world and sugar coat everything. Also helps there are based about 2 hours from the house.

Sysop6oz Thanks this.
  8. Sysop6oz

Sysop6oz Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Little Rock, AR

Thanks Jammer, I haven’t forgotten everything and I’m more excited than nervous, but a refresher is what I was looking at. Knock the rust off etc. as you said. I used to train new drivers at my last driving gig, but things have changed. One of the first things I noticed was automatic transmissions? Still letting that sink in lol.

The few of us that still use the citizens band? So... not much communication on the road anymore? That sucks. Hunting HAM, haha. I hear you, I’ve met a lot of elitist HAM’s. First time I used CB terms I got reamed. It was ridiculous... took me a minute to understand what they were talking about. I had my license and radio for 3 days....

Wait, I won’t make a mil every year? Haha (kidding)

Roger on the morons. I have 4 boys from 17 (twins), 13, and 8. I educate them on safe driving, especially around any truck, from giving them space to being nice and letting them go first. I may not have decades of experience OTR, but it was my first love & I won’t have my kids being jerks on the road. Enough of that already out there.

Thanks again, RM

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  9. Sysop6oz

Sysop6oz Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Little Rock, AR
    Excellent, that’s great to hear and grats!

2 hours from home...just curious but are you in AR? I haven’t looked them up yet but will be this evening.

RM

10. Sysop6oz

Sysop6oz Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks, Chinatown, I really appreciate the info. I’m a tad concerned about the physical, I just had titanium bolts put in my back @ the end of June. Sounds bad but it’s my second surgery and it worked! I’m already tracking 4-5 mile rides on my bike. I haven’t worked out in years and I was afraid I would never again.

Feeling like a new man!

11. Chrisnva

Chrisnva Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    No I’m in Virginia Beach and Abilene is in Richmond Va

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.