Howdy and lets "talk trash!"

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by GmanInCali, Sep 8, 2013.

1. hot.hogs

hot.hogs Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2011
    PNW
    Not a corotto, basically just a 4 yard bucket attached to the forks with a toter dumper recessed into the side of it. We have one corotto truck right now that primarily hits HOA's, runs 1000 plus stops in an 8 hour period depending on how dense the area is.

One day my supervisor called me and asked if I wanted to move over to trash, gave me the option of 2 routes that were open. The one I picked I knew a lot of since I was already running recycle in those areas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GmanInCali

GmanInCali Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Oh ok, yeah we had guys running those here in the county before they went to auto side loader trucks. That's a lot of getting in n out of the truck but it gets it done!

4. hot.hogs

hot.hogs Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2011
    PNW
    My current truck is nothing compared to when I was running recycle. My biggest day was 470 stops out of a left hand drive international. Talk about a lot of running!

5. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    Ex residential collections driver turned haulage driver.. I didn't mind the residential pickup we had a finish and go policy.. You start at 7am and when you were finish you go home (but get paid for 10hrs for a 4 day work week).. Now this doesn't happen because the City when with toter bins are the houses so it's a slower process.. They have rear packers, side manual loaders and what I like to call "one arm bandits" which is a toter mechanism that picks the toter up from the side of the truck operated from the cab...

I am not a haulage driver and transport the material from the transfer stations to the processors.. I do not haul garbage to the landfills tho.... I only haul recyclable materials such as yard waste/leaf waste, food waste and recycling (we call our recycling Single Stream because everything this mixed together like paper, cardboard, cans, bottles etc..) .... I love this job because I am back in a transport truck, get lots of overtime and I also get to load myself with a big loader...

6. GmanInCali

Sep 8, 2013
    Hey Govt_Trucker, that sounds like a good gig! Yeah I drove a "one arm bandit" prior to getting on a commercial route. I liked it, but got tired of dealing with resi customers...lol Boy do I miss the old days when we knocked out the route in 4hrs and got paid for 8. I did that for 17yrs and I'll never forget how nice that was raising my daughter,, getting to spend a lot of time with her etc. We work 4:30am to 12:30 now...ugh

7. GOV'T_Trucker

May 28, 2011
    yeah I work 4am to 12:30... But I love that shift cause I am off early and get no traffic commuting to work.. Toronto (Ontario) is a terrible place to drive.. Business highway in the North America..

8. GmanInCali

Sep 8, 2013
    Yeah, I hear ya, we get some traffic here too, but I miss the rush hour stuff and I also like having more daylight to get stuff done after work. Sometimes its hard getting up early for Monday though...lol Cold water in the face and some strong coffee and I'm out the door....lol
    Have a safe week up there!

9. trailerstudy

trailerstudy Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    What type of truck/trailer does your City use to transport waste from the transfer station to landfill?

Are they self-unloading? I am most interested in the City of Toronto, ON if anyone knows.

Thanks.

10. GOV'T_Trucker

May 28, 2011
    I work for The City Of Toronto so I can help ya (I hope your for City workers and not against them lol, I see you live in Toronto).... We use Freightliner trucks and 95% Aluminum Titan trailers while we have some older Titan, Universal, Canadian Disposal Equipment and Fanotech steel trailers.. All of our stuff is walking floors which means it's self unloading. We load them from the top with a loader and we also have hard tops which load thru a hopper machine. We also have dump trailers as well..

We do not go to the landfill, City Employee Truckers only haul recyclable materials (yardwaste, foodwaste and recycling and compost)... Verspeeten hauls the City garbage from Transfer Station to Landfill they also use Titan trailers with walking floors as well....

trailerstudy Thanks this.
  11. RRJ

RRJ Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Gmanincali thanks for all the info is that a 40yard packer? if so how many loose yards make 40 compacted yards? and how many tons is that? Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.