Howdy y’all

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by HiramKingWilliams, May 15, 2019.

1. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I just registered today and this is my first post. I’ve been reading this site a lot for a few months now. I’m 41 y/o and live in the Sacramento, CA area. I’m not from here and can’t wait to escape in a few months to Oregon. I’ve been in healthcare for about 14 years and am about to make a change to professional driving. Not because I have to but rather I want to.

I just scheduled my CDL permit test for 3 weeks from now. I’ve been studying the DMV manual and the Barron’s Study guide. I also just bought the CDL PASS app today and it looks awesome.

Once I get my permit, I plan on doing the 2-week school at Abylex in Sacramento, CA. As soon as I’m done and get my CDL, I’ll be moving to Oregon and seeking a driver position. I’ve don a to of research and would like to do LTL Line Haul. These are the companies I’d like to try for:

Old Dominion
    ABF Freight
    UPS Freight
    Fedex
    Estes
    Oak Harbor
    Saia
    XPO
    YRC

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated! It seems there’s some really helpful folks on here.

-Brian

austinmike and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    All those are good companies. Some are very picky about which school you graduate from. Some of those have driver trainee programs for drivers with no experience.
    Which town in Oregon do you plan to live?
    Out of curiosity; why did you choose Oregon?

4. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Thanks @Chinatown you are all over this board helping people. Cheers to you for that!

It’s between a few general areas in Oregon (Klamath Falls, Roseburg/Grants Pass, Coos Bay, Corvallis/Albany, and Bend) depending on what job I can get at the time we move. We (me, wife, kids) love Oregon. I’ve been all over OR many times. We’re from far Northern CA originally but are done with this state’s nonsense - housing, taxes, importing people daily by-the-ton from wherevertheheck, etc. We considered places like Idaho, Kentucky, and West VA but OR keeps up a short drive from family in Northern CA.

Looking back, I wish I’d done this 20 years ago. Some folks on here might think it’s nuts but I’m leaving a career working 13.5 hr shifts 3-nights per week and making 95k/yr. The same gig would pay around 60-65k/yr in the areas in OR that I listed. The cost of housing here is twice of those areas though. Money isn’t everything to me and I’m burnt on patient-care big time. And just healthcare in general. It really should be renamed Disease Management For Profit. But I digress. I’ve worked graveyard for 13 years now so the LTL Linehaul sounds like a great fit. And I really, really like being alone. I also enjoy earning my keep.

Thanks again. I’m looking forward to many more discussions on here.

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Based on what has been happening with YRC since their beginning (when Yellow bought Roadway) they have relied on give backs from the union to stay in business. I wouldn't plan on that continuing.

Likewise, XPO came out of nowhere buying up companies left and right. Recently they have been in the losing side of labor court cases. There are peole who feel they may be over extended.

6. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Thank you! Yeah, I’ve seen a few things on this board about them. Based off this board I think Old Dominion and Estes are the two I’ll lean towards hardest.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Well kiss the three nights a week goodbye. You'll be doing those long hours five-six nights a week and if your fortunate you'll hit just about what you are making now.
    On the bright side of things lots of companies are desperate like never before and are lowering their standards to recruit new drivers. So the time from new cdl, to a good paying gig won't take to long at all.
    Best of luck to you in your new adventure.

8. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Thank you @Cali kid ! Yeah I realize the change required and welcome it. There is sanity in staying busy.

9. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I grew up in Albany. I have a sister in Corvallis. Another in Eugene. Stay away from Eugene and Portland if you can. Albany and Corvallis are nice. Can't help much with truck companies but I know many Megas run out there including Schneider. A local company that comes to mind is Ireland but I don't know anything about them. You will be among fellow Californians sadly. They took over the place decades ago.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can work your way back up to the $95k within two years with a line haul job. You won't make that puttering around the city, but you can doing the long terminal to terminal line haul jobs.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's from an ad for Old Dominion Freight Line in Portland, OR
    Must have 12 months previous tractor-trailer driving experience OR be a graduate of a State Certified, Licensed and Safety Department approved driving school, OR have satisfactorily completed the Old Dominion Truck Driver Training school.

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.