How's Everyone Doing in LTL Right Now?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2022.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I noticed a Swift daycab pulling a Swift trailer out of our yard last week, which on its own is pretty normal. He probably pulled it to the local Swift yard so they show it was picked up on time and the OTR driver can come grab it later. But I also noticed an MME truck (Swift’s newest LTL acquisition) pulling a Swift trailer down the road and it got me thinking how close we are to literally giving our work away to our competitors. It wouldn’t be much of a stretch to see an MME truck picking up that Swift trailer next week, and then see it being swapped at the meet point while we had a few runs cut that night.

LtlAnonymous and Digman943 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    That's crazy. I'm at work right now and have been working 7 days to pull in as much summer money as I can because I take off ALOT during the winter. I called Central at 0230, and he just said "hey, I know you can turn and burn. Take this van and roll. I already dispatched you in that fast truck so don't worry about self dispatch."

At Estes, it's not 2020 freight crazy but we're rolling. When you can call on the weekend and they'll pretty much give you what you ask for... We're good.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    They gave me a nice fat 400 mile peddle run to do yesterday.

It took me 12 1/2 hours, but I’d still rather have done that than do what the straight truck driver did who also worked. He ended up next to Washington in enemy territory. :eek:

Cardfan89 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  5. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm in bed at the hotel now. The run was only 400 miles. Ran it straight no breaks or stops like it ain't nothing. Easy money!

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    My barn lost a few more runs on this next bid, but I still somehow managed to end up with a 550 mile daytime run. After four years of nights or extra board, I finally get to see how the other half lives.

7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Our volume is down, for sure. But my run is still booking along at 12-13 hours per day. So I haven't personally felt the pinch.

Banker and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Then again, it's also a contract year.

Banker Thanks this.
  9. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    That’s awesome. Not gonna lie I’m a bit jealous. I’ve got 5+ years and cannot even hold a run and I’m at a hub. I’m about done. Thinking of applying at Estes.

LtlAnonymous and jmz Thank this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    It's apples and oranges. You have good reasons for being where you're at, and it's definitely tough when you're at a hub and there's not many guys under you. I've just been really lucky to end up in this position.

I feel like things can't get much worse than they are now. As long as you're still getting work most days, it'll probably be worthwhile to stick it out. Estes will have you working a lot harder for not much more money.

Gearjammin' Penguin and Digman943 Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Pickups in my territory dried up somewhat but I’m still up to my ### in deliveries every day.

LtlAnonymous and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.