HS Diploma or GED

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Hick, Jan 22, 2016.

1. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    While I understand why, I don't see how a high school diploma guarantees someone will read road signs.

fargonaz, TBonze and Sneakerfix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I think most companies can sort out if you're intelligent enough, to do the job, during an interview.

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  4. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Perhaps the trucking companies will eventually hire a professional educator to administer literacy tests to all of the trucking company applicants, regardless of whether or not an applicant is a college graduate or an 8th. grade dropout.

It has been shown, in the past, that an 8th. grade dropout can read, write, speak, and comprehend English on a college graduate level.

It has also been shown, in the past, that a college graduate can be functionally illiterate, (extremely sad and unfortunate situation).

Therefore, literacy tests may be needed to weed out both the illiterate and functionally illiterate applicants.

In my younger years, I had to have a LOT tutoring and remedial reading lessons just to get to the level that I am at today. It was difficult to do, but well worth the effort.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  5. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Most of the big carriers don't even do an interview beyond getting you into orientation.

I'm parked beside a driver right now that I'm sure couldn't read me the 1st paragraph of a random news story.

OK, I'm all for that.

6. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

They have to fill those seats at whatever costs, even if they can't read

Hick Thanks this.
  7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    One possible solution to this problem would be for D.O.T. to give random reading tests at the scales when trucks are being weighed or inspected.

What they can do is to have the truck driver read and verbally repeat what he or she is reading to the D.O.T. officer.
    It could be anything from a newspaper, magazine, or a set of instructions posted on the wall or the drivers manual inside the truck drivers truck.

If the truck driver is seriously struggling with reading or having trouble verbally repeating what he or she has read, the driver would need to get some SERIOUS remedial reading from a qualified instructor, as a condition for him or her to continue driving professionally.

Also, the trucking company would have to be cited for sending out an illiterate or a functionally illiterate truck driver to begin with.

With all the complicated rules and regulations that have been thrusted upon both the trucking companies and truck drivers alike, it is ESSENTIAL that the truck driver is able to read and write at a FUNCTIONAL level.

This is NOT a joking matter to be taken lightly.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

8. 59MackB61

59MackB61 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    What is considered a functional level? 8th grade,9th grade or GED/HS diploma?

When I was an Army Recruiter I had a math, spelling test and comprehension that I would give to see if the person I was speaking with could pass the ASVAB it went like this
    What is the square root of 49?
    How do you spell Chaos?
    What does Chaos mean?
    If they could get the math and spelling right I knew they would score high on the test if they couldn't get the math or spelling but knew the definition they would barley pass. Sometimes if they would miss the math I would ask a couple random multiplication questions like 7x8 or 8x7 be surprised how many would give two diffrent answers to the same question just expressed different

9. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Maybe ensure they can read all of the important signs?

sign1.jpg
    sign2.jpg
    sign3.jpg
    sign4.png
    sign5.jpg
    sign6.jpg
    sign7.jpg

thejackal Thanks this.
  10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I don't believe you're giving some people credit where credit is due.for example: I had a teacher in the second grade that thought I was cheating on a test when in fact, I was not. I simply understood and scored higher then the others in the class. how many are treated the same?
    she was one that used a ruler on knuckles.

you're sounding like that teacher.

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  11. TBonze

TBonze Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Exactly!

They required a HS diploma/GED at our school. They said, "It's proof that you can be educated."

Makes sense...

dca Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.