Huge setback!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Oledevildog, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Oledevildog

Oledevildog Light Load Member

May 13, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well I'm not sure if this has ever happened to anyone before. I went through cdl training with my company, then out with my trainer and drove a little over 16,000 miles. During this time I drove up and down mountains, through big city rush hour traffic and backed in everywhere we went except for a couple of times my first week out. My trainer taught me well, as did the school. The problem is during this time, I failed the backing part of the skills test 4 times. I was with in inches or a pull-up each time. Test anxiety got the best of me. I passed the pre-trip the first time and I drive safely. In Ohio you get 4 chances and then you have to wait 6 months and start all over. This means I have to get a new permit and start all over including school again in 6 months. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any advise?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Sorry to hear that.Why didn't you get your CDL while you was in school?Backing is the hardest to learn for many.It took me more then 4 trys to ace it.I think that's a bit much having to wait 6 months to try again.But that's Ohio for ya,they hate trks.

Moon_beam and Nightwind8830 Thank this.
  4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I don't want to sound like a jerk here, but this is as it should be. If everyone who showed up with a pulse was granted a CDL, then driver pay would be even lower than it is already. Those tests are NOT difficult. If you couldn't pass in four tries, then perhaps trucking is not for you.

You call it test anxiety. If you can't cope with test anxiety and still perform to MINIMUM standards, then what are you going to do when you've got to back your trailer into a dock inside a dark building in Maspeth, NY while blocking traffic on a busy narrow street with cars parked on both sides - without your trainer?

5. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Read the post. He failed the BACKING only. Do you have an Ohio cdl? Have you taken a cdl test in Ohio? I remember the backing portion quite well. It was the only portion I had problems with. The things every single one of us does several times a week as experienced drivers would cause you to fail an Ohio backing test. I have a depth perception issue that caused me loads of issues when my points of reference were a couple of cones.

I remember the stupid instructor comments when I was practicing. You went 6 inches over, you just destroyed a dock...... Really.... Any dock that can't take a 1/2 mph hit from a truck isn't safe in the first #### place.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. Skydivedavec

Skydivedavec Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic
    Pardon my cynicism here Smith, but didn't you leave out the part, 'while barefoot in the snow?' I don't often speak out of turn in this forum because granted, I'm only a human being and not a truck driver yet, but I believe the OP was asking for advice. I am not currently having difficulty with backing, but I've no idea how I will do backing when under the pressure of an examiner. So if you don't have advice for the newb maybe just save the lack of same for judgment day. In my sport you'd be labeled 'skygod.' Jus sayin

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Strider, Snowshoes, toostroked and 3 others Thank this.
  7. RAINBOWDADDY1

RAINBOWDADDY1 Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Dog. Hang in there man. I went to C1 in Indy in 2010. IN CDL test is BRUTAL !!!! Took me 4 tries ! I was out there for 5 weeks. My wife had a stroke while I was finishing on road training and I had to quit the sponsering company ! I came within 2 hours of not even trying my LAST turn at bat which I only passed by 6 points....BUT I PASSED ! My CDL CLASS A is NO different then the 1 guy in my class who was an ex AF fighter pilot who ACED it and was done in 4 days ! Now 3.5 + years later just went over 200k miles. Considering 4 different VERY HIGH PAYING offers from 4 top of the line companies....THEY are now calling me asking me to come work for them ! HANG IN THERE MAN....JUST DONT QUIT ! DONT QUIT ! DONT QUIT ! If this is YOUR dream ! DONT QUIT !

TruckDuo, warrior81, hal380 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    You guys missed the most important part of windsmith's post...the most important part [Quote If you can't cope with test anxiety and still perform to MINIMUM standards UN-quote]...Dave you got pretty close to it with this....[Quote I am not currently having difficulty with backing, but I've no idea how I will do backing when under the pressure of an examiner. UN-Quote] Most people handle testing differently...we are all individuals....some handle pressure pretty well , some not so good. All windsmith did was point out that "if " the OP had already failed the backing tests 4 , four , quarto...times....He merely pointed out to him that he may have picked a career that he does have now or will never have the skill set to handle..simple because of "anxiety issues"...some folks can do this job...some folks can't , not for lack of trying or the desire to do , they just can't. Seems like the OP may be one of those people.

9. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    After driving for almost 33 years,there are days when I can't even back up strait.don't let your nerves get the better of you.You have the skill and knowledge.just say" i got this aced" Good luck

hal380, Skydivedavec, Joetro and 3 others Thank this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Nobody is as perfect as you are so give the op a brake.So what if he didn't pass within 4 tries.This guy paid good money for his school now he had to fork out more.It took me more then 4 times and 11 yrs later im still at it.Ohio hates trks and the less they have to see the happier they r my guess would be why only 4 tries.

Skydivedavec, Snowshoes and hal380 Thank this.
  11. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    If you failed four times and the state says you have to wait six months and start all over then what advice do you want? You have to wait six months and start all over.

marineman227 and randal02lee Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.