Hurricane Dorian....

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by drvrtech77, Aug 28, 2019.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    How? How can the dwarf toll only be 43 in Bahama?
    The place looks like it’s completely destroyed.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    They’re still sifting through the wreckage.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    The Bahamas got their independence from Britain in 1973.

mjd4277 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, they became a Commonwealth in 1973, but they still consider QE2 as their Queen. As such, i would think the UK would have a greater presence in helping to recover???

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Wife manages one of the hotels, so been riding it out there. Good thing, just got my power back on. My part of the sandbar made it through just fine..usual flooding, lost a few power poles..surprising cause the storm lost a LOT of power before it hit us.

Hatteras Island(Basically everything south of me), got rocked pretty good. Lots of flooding, no power, normal stuff, well for us. Ocracoke on the other hand is pretty messed up. No power, no food, etc etc. Folks ended up having to hide out in their attics due to the flooding, worse they've had in very long time. Folks were being rescued via air-evac, an boats. Anyone in a private boat is being turned away. Same with Private planes, etc. The Airport there has been taken over by the Gov. folks who are flying in, an the rescue folks.

They got a lot of help though, a small army of power folks, Cops, Coast Guard, don't think the National Guard is there yet. I do know they asked people to stop sending food an stuff as they have no where to store it. I'm not here to plug relief efforts but if you wanna help, I think there is info on the Dare County, or Hyde County websites. Probably both.

The house made it through, I have a nice forest of branches in my back yard, an my cheap metal shed that came with the place, held up well, it took a big hit from a heavy branch, but it's still standing! Haha!

All in all, quite blessed. Them branches coulda landed on my roof, an they didn't. Could've been a much stronger storm, an had it been...I'd likely be posting a much more depressing post.

Storm was weird. Lots of damage one doesn't usually see with this kind of weaker storm. It lost a lot of power before it hit us.

I would've posted sooner, but I've not had power at the house, an been helping with the recovery stuff at the wife's work.

Hope everyone in the path or having to drive into it, from it, etc made through safely.

Sirscrapntruckalot - A little wetter, but still here.

kemosabi49, mjd4277 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.