Husband & Wife teams: O/O vs Company Teaming

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Barbeque, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Fairweather

Fairweather Light Load Member

May 8, 2018
    Our particular schedule is not one I would reccomend but it is one we require due to my wife having poor night vision, or so she claims...

She drives days and I drive nights.

The problem with that schedule is that I end up feeling like a vampire that gets burned in the sunlight. I also never get any view of the beauty we drive through aside from a few hundred yards of blacktop under the headlights.

She also dislikes it to an extent because she never gets any of the empty road that I have all night. She is stuck in traffic all day long, which is absolutely harder driving.

It gets to you both after awhile and it's really best, IMO, to have a little of each.

What I would recommend is a schedule allowing both of you a little bit of daytime and nighttime driving so that you each get a little of both worlds, like a noon to midnight shift.

Definitely do set a schedule though. Drive it based off the clock (home time zone) and stick to it as closely as possible. This will keep your bodies' clocks in rhythm and help with fatigue.

John Bertucci Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fairweather

Fairweather Light Load Member

May 8, 2018
    Sure, that's the great thing about o/o. Tou can run however hard you like.

For instance, this past week, we were feeling a little crispy from our 4th of July home time so we left out last Tuesday and decided to run super solo.

We had tons of time off, basically 8hrs every night and still ran almost 5000 miles. Grossed about $9000 and are back home again until Monday. Nice way to go.

In all actuality, true team loads are pretty scarce. Mostly, if you want to run hard, you have to look for FCFS deliveries so you can get there as fast as you want.

They're always a little surprised when you show up a day or two earlier than they expected but are glad to unload you.

The WORST team loads are grocery. They all have set delivery appointments and are set up for solo drivers. You can't show up early.

So, balance your loads to your stamina and preference. Run hard to make some quick money and then take a solo load to regroup.

You can even do a rolling 34 reset, if you want to go that hard. Basically, driver 1 drives a shift, then park for 10, then driver 1 takes another shift. Driver 2 just got a 34. Then, reverse it so driver 1 can reset.

That's if you want to run hard all the time. We never do that.

It sounds funny but we more or less run each week until the bills get paid and we put a little into savings and then we have fun. I guess we're at a point in our lives where the experiences are more important than the money.

To each his own though.

John Bertucci Thanks this.
  4. Love7

Love7 Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2018
    How do i do it with who do i leases to

5. kbarttt

kbarttt Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Utah
    I know this is an old thread but if you are still looking for information let me know. We have driven for a couple different companies mostly as owner ops and I would recommend most of them for different reasons.
    Not positive but I don't think you can drive for Landstar until you both have two years experience.

Good Luck!

John Bertucci and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. Love7

Love7 Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2018

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.