HVAC Blower Fan Delayed Start

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Hiradttx, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Hiradttx

Hiradttx Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    2001 Freightliner Columbia Detroit 12.7 DDEC IV. Optimize idle shuts down engine after cab temperature is reached. On subsequent startup, HVAC fan blower does not come on, in both, sleeper and cab. Intermittent problem. If Optimize idle is turned off while engine running (cruise off), the fan blower comes on.

The Detroit Optimize Idle manual says that fan an accessories should come on within 30 seconds after engine start. But I cannot find anything to troubleshoot, when fans do not start.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    could it be that the fan runs off a thermostat from the inside air?

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Optimized idle also will start engine for low battery voltage and engine oil temp and not turn the fans on.

So make sure it starting for cab/sleeper heat or a/c. Also make sure you have Optimized idle thermostat set to heat or cool. When Optimized idle start the engine for heat or a/c the icon on the thermostat will be flashing

5. Hiradttx

Hiradttx Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014

The Optimize Idle runs correctly for a few cycles on and off as intended for heat/cool. Then (I think) it starts an Engine Mode or Battery Mode cycle, and that's when the blowers do not turn on.

I noticed this a couple weeks ago during the day, (usually this occurs at night when I am woken up from sleep, and too sleepy to troubleshoot). The optimize idle started the truck, even though the temperature difference was only one degree below cut off, and that's when I noticed the blowers did not come on within 30 seconds. Generally the variance is set to 4, 7 or 10 degrees. This lead me to believe it did a Engine/Battery mode start.

How do I disable Engine Mode or Batter Mode?

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    N
    Not sure you can disable battery mode. It their to keep you batteries charged. You might need new batteries or clean the battery Cable connection. It starts at 12.2 volts if you have dash display for battery voltage. Then it will run 2 hours to recharge them. You can set the variance in temp to lowest setting. That make the engine start more for heat or a/c but and avoid the battery mode. It can start to keep the oil temperature warm.

Hiradttx Thanks this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If it starts for battery charging the HVAC fans don't turn on. Then if the cab get hot or cold depends on temperature setting you have. It will turn on the fans as needed even when it first started to just charge the batteries.

Hiradttx Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Their I one way to disable the optimize idle. Their was a light on the dash big orange one to let you know Optimize Idle was on. It had a big rubber cover. It pops off with the orange cover to change the light bulb. When the light bulb burn out Optimize Idle does not work. So you can older the truck all night like normal if you pop out the light bulb.

Hiradttx Thanks this.
  9. Hiradttx

Hiradttx Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    The only way to start the cab and/or sleeper blowers (when OI starts the truck and blowers don't turn on), is to shut off the engine and restart the truck.

I guess I need to have a shop read the OI report to see how many Engine/Battery starts the OI has done. This will definitively tell me if that is the reason why blowers did not start.

Is there a specific relay that starts the blowers within 30 seconds? Or does the ECM control that?

10. Hiradttx

Hiradttx Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    I do not want to disable OI. I want it to run properly because I do not have an APU and I run OTR.

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If OI starts the engine for batteries and you want the blowers to come on you can change the temperature in sleeper thermostat. Even just to test the blowers drop the temperature setting or turn it up and see how if the blower fans come on.

The temperature was not the most accurate I found. I think in the winter I set it for like 78 and the middle variance. Because it would get to cold in sleeper if was set for 10 before the OI would start engine or turn fans on if in battery/engine mode.

I'm not sure what can be changed if someone looks at ECM setting. I'm not sure how OI controls the fans. If it does or it tells the ECM to turn the fan on.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.