Hyd tank making a mess...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Agtrucker, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Working with a 2012 40'-42' Mac dump trailer and a split fuel/hyd tank(think it's a 50gal/75 gal split) on a newer Pete.. I've never been able to catch actual hydraulic fluid coming out of the breather on top of the tank but I'm at least getting a lot of vapor out the breather which is making a mess of the tank, front of the trailer,fenders and back of cab and it's annoying the hell out of me . Guys in the shop aren't to concerned with it so guess I'm on my own.
    -The ram goes up and down fine, tho it does sometime have a slight hesitation on the very last stage going up and again right before it's all the way down. It does have some oil on the ram, not sure where it's coming from, need to investigate that more. Would a leaky ram introduce air into the system and causing my problems?
    -I was going to try putting the hoist up, take the breather cap off and measure how much oil is left in the bottom and see if there's a lot still left, maybe it's just overfull and I'll try pulling a little out... There's nothing wrong with doing this is there? This wont depressurize anything, correct? Or is there a certain distance down from the top the level should be within the tank with the hoist down? <- Tho, this seems subjective given the infinite different setups one could have.
    -I've tried just drenching the breather in brake cleaner thinking maybe it was just dirty and that seems to have helped slightly in the past. Maybe I should just try to pick up a new one? Just hate to put a new one on and have drench it with oil right out of the gate if the problem is elsewhere.
    Thoughts? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. #1 Kenworth

#1 Kenworth Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New England
    working with Hydraulic systems for years the oil has legs on it. Meaning a drop of oil will appear bigger than it really is. And blowing with the breeze down the highway doesn't help. So raise up the body so you fill the cylinder and see how much oil is left. It might be too much when the cylinder comes down and refills the tank. Remove the filler cap as the system is not pressurized at that point clean the area good. Raise/lower the cylinder and see if you see any splatter. If so you might have too much oil or when it comes back into the tank its to fast causing a splatter inside the tank. maybe add some sort of baffle to slow it down coming back in.

Agtrucker Thanks this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I had a problem with oil splashing up through the vents as it sloshed around as I drove, too. Solution was to put a 90 degree elbow out of each vent port, then a T with the vent in it. Link the two together with a piece of hose, and no more problems. Anything that DOES slosh up gets caught and returned to the tank without escaping through the vents. Not "pretty", but it's under the cab (not TOO visible) and looks a heck of a lot better than an oily tank. IMG_20170429_184543.jpg

Agtrucker Thanks this.
  5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    My last wetline tank was a pita for that. I eventually ran a 1 1/2 hose off the vent down back of the filter under the truck. Not epa approved but what heck. Mine would dribble it out as the hoist came down. Oil would separate from the vapor as it came out. As long as you pull the same trailer all the time I would run just enough oil to get the hoist to the full height.

Agtrucker Thanks this.
  6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    An old show-car trick is to wrap a wrist-worn sweatband around the breather to keep oil from coming out and getting all over the valve covers.

The same might work on your vent / filler cap.

Agtrucker Thanks this.
  7. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. So I took the black plastic plug out that's just down the side from top dead center on the tank and oil was down about 4.75" from the top (box down).. Put the box up in the air and still had almost 6" of oil in the bottom. So I pulled 5 gals out and which equated to dropping the oil level about 1.75". Cycled the cylinder a couple times and there was no issues. I bet I could pull another 5gals out and still be fine, but I'll have to find some more jugs, I only had 2) 2.5gal jugs. Can't believe how over filled it seems to be!

poppapump1332 and RockinChair Thank this.
  8. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    When I pulled a 39' end dump I only needed about 45 gallons. I had a 50 gallon tank.

Agtrucker Thanks this.
  9. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    I always raise the body all the way and then put an extra 5 gallons in the tank as a reserve or for dumping on an incline.

I also toss the breather into the trash can and install a simple elbow with a hose fitting into the hole vacated by the breather, then I run a vent hose between the tank and frames so it can only vent to the ground.

The breather restricts the exhaust of air so oil gets lifted with the exhausting air, a free open vent with a hose will rarely get any fluid at all in the vent line.

Agtrucker Thanks this.
  10. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    A sweatband on the breather would not be a good idea on a hydraulic tank as you are dealing with suction and expulsion through the breather. Starve the pump for oil because the sweatband is too restrictive or dirty and you will be buying a pump and cleaning a hydraulic system as in a walking floor.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Obviously, like any other filter, the sweatband would have to be cleaned or replaced periodically. I thought that went without saying.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    RET423 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.