I-35 Bridge Collapses

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Cybergal, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Im originally from MN and was trying to move back there this summer but plans fell through...hope to move back to the northern part sometime soon. I don't think I actually went on that bridge as i usually travelled through the cities on 35E instead of W.

I too heard people blaming Bush and Clinton and while Im not a fan of Bush...I certainly would not put blame on any political party. Thats just sad that people resort to that.

I heard on CNN that the brige system in the US needs 9billion dollars a year to be maintained and is currently getting only about 2 billion. Uffda.

either way, for being a major interstate bridge...thats going to kill traffic big time...Im not sure where they can reroute it to. Bridge building usually takes years too, unfortunately.

Makes me wonder how much they will be looking at the bridges further down on 694 by the airport...fairly long bridges.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Technique was not available 40+ years ago before computer simulations---all calcs back then were done with slide rules!!

Today, after 'modeling' the bridge and it's construction, that technique may be used to 'pull out' each support member one-at-a-time to see the effects. That in conjunction with the 4 sec video of the actual collapse should give the failure mechanism...

4. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Joined just to post that 1 post! Oh well, gone now....

But this is going to really bother me about all those 80K+ bridges out there that I 'have' to drive ...like the back road truck routes of N. Okla!! Bridges that have max loads of like 30K lbs---thats less than my tractor with an MT!!! I try to avoid, but have got stuck in the middle of nowhere on one w/an MT once---slowed down and glided across it gently!! Never again!!:biggrin_2554::biggrin_2551:

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I heard a theory floated that makes sense. All the salt used for ice melt finally did in the fasteners where they couldn't really be seen and finally too many had broken and the rest already weakened couldn't take it.

6. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Just am catching the last 1/2 hr of this program---really interesting!! Bridges also need to be inspected bi-yearly under water for 'riff-raft' movement and scour holes due to hi-flow rates digging under the upstream side of support foundations!! :yes2557:

7. The driver that helped the kids off the bus is a UPS driver that some photos show laying on it's side-off the side of the bridge. He is a friend of the truck driver that was on fire (Tastee bread trk), I thought that I heard him say he didn't make it. BTW, the UPS driver had several broken ribs and some other injuries and still was able to help the kids. I even emailed a new station asking why they don't find out about the Tastee driver..

Correction...just watched local news, the UPS driver was too messed up to help. However, he did mention that the Tastee driver was a friend of his and he waved at him as they passed each other...........sad to say, he mentioned that he didn't make it. These news people, especially the national news sure jump to conclusions and talk a bunch of BS trying to "make the story".

Another update....I don't think this is correct. Big Schmidty

Bill,

Currently officials have not released any information about the driver of the semi truck. We assume that the driver escaped unharmed or is currently in the hospital, since we know that the driver was not part one of the 4 confirmed deaths.

We are efforting information and as soon as we know anything we will be sure to report it.

Thanks for watching FOX 9 News,
    Alexa Klang

8. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    According to an Associated Press report, "A 2005 federal inspection also rated the bridge structurally deficient, giving it a 50 on a scale of 100 for structural stability."

I did hear, however, that -- although it failed the federal inspection -- it recently passed a state inspection.

9. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm pretty sure he will be one of the dead - his rig went straight into or possibly under the falling slab.

Two "truck" drivers were identified/interviewed but both drove pick-ups. One was in a black pick-up that hangs over the edge of the northbound lane just a few yards away from the truck and bus in the southbound lanes. The other was a Brit (my guess since he said his "windscreen" was knocked out) whose pickup flipped and was "folded in half". The first one was the guy who went over to assist helping lift kids off the bridge to the roadway it fell on.

10. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

If that's the case, can you let me know your routes so I can send my boyfriend in the OTHER direction from you.:biggrin_25525:

11. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    I think they mostly use sand, at least that's what my wife said. She used to live 2 blocks from that bridge.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.