I believe i made a mistake

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Gunner75, May 13, 2016.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Crace trucking out of Bellefontaine Oh, or mt zion illinois, or Louisville ky...you catching on here? His website shows he's out of bellefontaine ohio, the business address on his freight con is mt zion illinois, but him and his wife live just north of Elizabethtown ky.

They are nice people, ill give them that, says he's been in trucking for 25 yrs, but i believe there is some serious cause for concern.

His offer 30% of the freight revenue that the truck makes. Paid for health, vision, and dental (aka free) Preemission trucks, well maintained equipment. Paper logs or elog via keep trucking app on supplied tablet. Nongovorned truck. Sounds pretty good right?

When i originally interviewed with him he stated that his operation was contract freight with his own customers. By his own customers he meant freight brokers that he has carrier contracts with, nothing more. Every load i pulled to this date was a broker load. They book it, i have to contact the broker to get dispatched, i have to call and update with status.

Now the story i got was he owned several trucks and trailers up to a couple of years ago when his wife and him got divorced. In the divorce he was ordered to sell everything and split the money even with his ex. Would make sense being that he just recently got married again this last year. Up to this point it's not been a big deal. He purchased a 2007 volvo vnl670 for me to drive. Put me in a hotel room for 5 days waiting for mhc memphis to dot it and get issues fixed. So far so good. One they claimed the truck was road worthy, i went and did my own dot inspection, right off the bat i find oil leak, leak from the steering gear box, Crack across the windshield, and two high beam head lights out. They fixed all but the oil leak. When i tell him about that leak again he says that is not a big deal, he will fix it at the first oil change. First red flag

I had to bobtail from memphis to ashland ky to get my trailer, not a problem. He issued me a comcheck authoritation for fuel. For the next 3 weeks the truck uses a gallon of oil a week, of which i paid for out of my pocket, scanned in the receipts to him. Not a problem. Being that he's just getting back into things, im letting things go that normally i wouldn't. Like as of my currently this up, ive yet to receive a single pay stub. When they send me the load info, it is always a copy of the rate con with the rate blacked out. I asked her how come i don't get to see the revenue the truck generates and she says that's the way her husband runs it. I told her then I'm supposed to go off blind trust that I'm getting the actual 30%? She said she would run it passed him, and never got back to me.

Today was the final straw for me. I was in central north carolina lastnight to pick up this am, was relativity cool, but muggy as hell, so i idled, which according to him is fine because the truck doesn't have an apu. I got a comcheck for fuel $200 (which is the only way to get fuel with him) as i don't have a fuel card. After fuel I'm at 1/2 tank after picking up 84 gallons. Being that my route home to west central ohio is taking me up 77/64 into west virgina i tell him I'm going to need more fuel to get home. by the time i get to nitro wva, im down to half way between 1/4 and 1/8. After much debate from him of doing my trailer in columbus, bobtailing home, he states he doesn't want to put anymore fuel into the truck this week because he wants to keep his profit margin sheet looking good. Meanwhile in sweating it by the time i get to Bidwell ohio at the loves the light comes on for low fuel. He finally gives me another $50 fire fuel.

There are plenty more issues i can get into and will do if anyone is interested. It's all maintenance issues. One thing i did find it today, he is beholden to a company out of new jersey called red oak capital investments. That is where several of the bills were mailed to after I'm empty, the comdata card they gave me that doesn't work says the same name.

In the end i think i made a mistake conning to drive for this guy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Too bad to hear, you gonna quit I assume? I want to quit and I don't even work for him.

4. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Well I'm at the house right now, i don't want to quit while under a load, and certainly don't want to quit unless i have another option. He doesn't use dac so I'm not worried about him burning me.

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    You said you haven't received a pay check in 3 weeks? I would be getting a New gig lined up while you are home and then demand some type of pay before moving the load your sitting on.

insertnamehere and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    No ive been paid on time, ive yet to receive a pay stub

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  7. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    Ok I took it as not recieving a stub meaning no money.

I'd be looking for something more legit, blacking out the rates is BS, when the driver gets paid a % of it.

And then have to call and get a check every time for fuel is BS...

DTP, Toomanybikes, austinmike and 2 others Thank this.
  8. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    The company I currently work for pays me percentage. 37 percent. I SEE EVERYTHING. I see revenue, I see expenses. I see it all. In fact I see so much I starting raising my own questions about why things cost so much.

Anyhow. My point is this. If the guy ain't gonna show you transparent numbers, then you can't realistically expect that you are really, truly earning 30 percent of what the truck is grossing.

Maintenance issues WILL come back to bite you in the ###, either in the form of a roadside or shop time.

If you are a W2 employee, you definitely have the right to a paystub.

I recognize your avatar. Didn't you have a pretty long TMC thread on here? I bring that up because it means you have some experience. I'd bail out on this honestly and take your experience and put it to good use elsewhere. Not trying to piss you off, just trying to say, hey something is definitely not right, find something else.

unloader

9. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    As of July 7 I'll have my license 2 full years. I'm discussing my options with my wife and will make my mind up before this weekend is up. My only concern is one i have something lined up, should i wait to tell him once in at home, or tell him while on the road. My concern is him leaving me stranded someplace

10. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Oh and they finally sent me all my pay stubs at one time tonight, and it still doesn't show how much my pay was bad off of. My stubs at tmc and pgt both showed the rates for each load, my percentage of each load, plus any and all accessorial pays

11. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    How can he leave you stranded. Make sure you have enough cash on hand to cover fuel. Soon as you get your next job lined up give him some type of notice and see how he responds and react accordingly to that response.

Lonesome and Gunner75 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.