I deserve better

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by deerslayer1543, May 29, 2010.

1. deerslayer1543

deerslayer1543 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2010
    topeka kansas
    Ive been otr for 3 months now logging close to 40000 miles in 38 states.IMO I aint "green" no more.Im still getting training pay of .23 cpm.On top of never getting paid anywhere near all the miles I actually drive Im expected to be a mechanic to an 11 year old truck and a whole lot of other stuff going on Im not too thrilled about.Bottom line is Im not making near enough money to justify beeing gone from home so much.Am I being impatient about "paying my dues" or by now should I be able to be doing better for myself.I drive for a 4 truck mom and pop outfit.I pull a stepdeck which means I have to work not just drive.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    $.23 per mile??? ####, that's harsh... and you DO deserve more, but this isn't exactly the best time to be shopping for an employer. I know, it took me a while to find a decent employer, one who literally runs from coast to coast, which is how I like running. However, you might carry on with your search when off duty or at the house... that FLEETDIRECTORY.COM site has quite a few companies listed on it, and you can check the transport column of Craigslist, not just for your city but for outlying areas as well. In your shoes, I would find a company and go through the whole background check on the side if possible, throwing that company name into a forum like this to see what other drivers have to say... obviously, at some point, your current employer will discover that you have applied elsewhere, but that might not be a bad thing. Who knows, maybe the cheap bast*rds will increase your pay... hang in there, driver, because it WILL get better, one way or another.

deerslayer1543 Thanks this.
  4. Ramblin' Redneck

Ramblin' Redneck Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL
    You've been driving 3 months. You aren't just still wet behind the ears, the water is still pouring out from behind 'em and making a puddle on the floor.

Yeah, 23 cpm is low for flatbed work, unless it is supplemented with laod/unload pay, and you probably could get more elsewhere....that is IF elsewhere will take you with your whopping 3 months experience.

You are driving a truck, and a truck is a mechanical beast. Like ANYTHING mechanical, it will wear out or break occasionally or at the very least require service at regular intervals. SOMEONE has to do the work, and unless you work for big carriers with shops all over the place or a smaller carrier that doesn't trust you to touch their truck other than to drive it, you WILL have to turn a wrench occasionally to keep the truck road worthy. Few (if any) are going to pay you to sit at a shop, and very few company shops will get you in-and-out with no waiting. If you can competently turn a wrench, and if the company allows you to wrench on their truck, it will save you time doing a lot of the simpler tasks yourself so that you can get down the road and earn your peanuts.

5. Bent Wrench

Bent Wrench Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Cornholio, OR
    90 days out and you are not happy?

Did you not do your research prior to accepting the pay rate you are getting?

You need to make it 3 more 90 day stints, with no wrecks or other black marks on your DAC, to be considered as having moved past the steering wheel holder phase. Then you will be in a position to be considered by a company that is not a meat grinder or bottom feeder.

Relax. Brown nose your dispatcher, or at least never complain. Be PROFESSIONAL getting the load from point A to B is only half the job. Enjoy the scenery, keep your nose clean, learn as much as you can, take any load offered. After that one year marker you still have to put in at least another year of good verifiable experience to be considered by the best companies.

The trainee smell has not left you yet, and the fact that you are not satisfied will make you appear either entitled or desperate or just plain ignant.

OBTW 40k miles divided by 90 days (with no breaks) is 444.44 miles per day divided by 11 hours is 40mph. Your either exaggerating or running illegal as heck. (and drop and hook with no waits).

Do not take this as an attack, and get all defensive. I'm just sayin..... Reality Check!

ironhand, RAGE 18 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  6. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I know there is a better way,..............

If you look you'll find it,..........

7. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Yeah...it's called going out and getting your own authority.....not lease under someone else...your own authority...It's not easy...being your own boss....

Beechvtail and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  8. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I don't know,....

I'm making more now with wages and benefits than I ever could have taken home running my own show,...

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Your a "CUB", "APPRENTICE", "TRAINEE" You are not a experienced driver. The oil in your engine has more experience than you.... Come on get real. If you go to another company there going to put you in school then with a trainer. Or were you kidding, Ok I get the joke....

I am medicineman Thanks this.
  10. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    I'm puttin on my asbestos underwear to say....you only get paid what you EARN and WHERE you earn it! What ever you think you deserve is only a dream, the reality is the job you have, or a different job. As others sorta said, you should know what you are getting into, b4 you get into it! Unfortunately, now that you are there, unless something really unusual can be done, leaving will make things worse for you, until you have completed at least a year.

RAGE 18 and I am medicineman Thank this.
  11. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    As for wrenching on my truck, I do ALL the minor repairs on whatever truck is assigned to me... saves time and I know the job is done right. A good tool kit is essential for all professional drivers... so is an assortment of bulbs, clamps, nuts & bolts, etc. A cordless drill comes in handy now and then... Don't forget the zip ties and duct tape either for those emergency repairs (lol), enough to see you down the road to a safer location where you can fix the problem. Sounds like some of these hands are pingin' on this guy a bit hard... sure, he's green as f___ at 3 months, but 23 cents per mile?!? After 3 months?!? He should've already upgraded to solo and the company should be payin' him more, especially if he's slingin' chains, tarping loads, or whatever... that's my perspective. Maybe starting wages have gone back down with this f____-up economy. 23 cents per mile is ridiculous.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.