I deserve better

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by deerslayer1543, May 29, 2010.

1. ETCH5858

ETCH5858 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I bet all those tools cost you about 3 mpg haha. Actually very nice set up. I keep a small box on the truck and my main box at home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I carry an assortment of pliers, vice-grips, screwdrivers, some sockets and a 4-lb hammer for those stubborn slider pins.

But back to the original post, you can see I have 3 years in. This truck by itself has 225K miles on it that I put on it. All totaled, I probably have close to 500K miles behind me without any tickets or crashes. There are some of the old-timers out here who still tease me about being a "noobee." Get used to it, put your time in, sure, look for something else if you want to, but don't hold your breath. And never forget we can learn something from each other every day. Never think you know it all...that attitude will come around and bite you in the %$#.

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Finally you post something I agree with. Your learning.....:biggrin_25525:

Injun Thanks this.
  5. Ramblin' Redneck

Ramblin' Redneck Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL
    If you break down 1000 miles from nowhere and the tool you need to get back on the road is in your main box at home, you may as well not even own it.

I get paid by the ton...and every time I get an empty weight, I'm thinking about that extra tonnage I could haul if I were to just leave my tools at home. Heck, I'm home most every night, but if that's where all of my tools are located, I may not be ABLE to make it home to fix the truck and will have to call (and pay for) a service truck to come out and get me rolling again.

If you don't have the tool you need with you when you need it, it won't do you a lick of good.

6. Ramblin' Redneck

Ramblin' Redneck Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL

Hell, I've been at it almost a decade and I'm still wet behind the ears. Yeah, I've got a pretty good idea what goes on out here...but you should never stop learning. Hopefully you learn from OTHER people's mistakes whenever possible...they tend to be cheaper than your own screw-ups.:biggrin_25523:

7. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Mr. DD: We gonna fight???? :biggrin_25522::biggrin_2559:

8. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    Always better to learn from somebody else's mistake... rather than your own. :biggrin_2552:

I got $20 on the Injun!!!

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Not for this post, maybe another post.:biggrin_25523:

RAILSPLITTER Thanks this.
  10. Iceman_biker

Iceman_biker Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Arcadia LA
    I'll drive a turd of a truck if the money is right. But if you don't want to pay as much, it better be a nice truck. I told the guy I drive for now either a nicer truck or more wages. I got a nicer truck. It ain't the best truck but the air is cold, the cruise works, and it's got a nice radio. LMAO

RAILSPLITTER Thanks this.
  11. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    To drive for .23 cpm that truck would have to have gold come out of the pipes to get me the money I would need to keep going, and that is with a Van.
    No way in heck I would pull a flat or a step deck for that. Unless they paid very very well for loading, tarping etc.
    Heck, I do not know of any company's that pay .23 after a month or two. Not even the lowest bottom feeders pay that low.

RAILSPLITTER and already gone Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.