I didn't know running over a curb counts as a preventable accident

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Oct 17, 2021.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I bet California hits a million curbs a day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    The second one, stay tight to the right, tractor goes past the island, trailer stays to the “bottom side” of the island. No curbs touched.

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You say what a joke, and I'm over laughing because that's funny. I'm sorry driver

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Why don't you explain exactly how you hit the curb so our imaginations don't run wild?

gentleroger Thanks this.
  6. Aoki Gahara

Aoki Gahara Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2021
    must be straight highway for life if you've never clipped a curb. Yes, different degrees of cubing a tire, generally a curbed tire equals damage, otherwise if a company came at me about a so called preventable without any damage and a road call, they'd be my former employer.

Canadianhauler21 and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  7. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Let them fire you! Seriously, who cares. If you have a clean MRV you could literally walk across the street and have a job with another company tomorrow... If these pathetic companies are so desperate for eligible drivers, then why do their safety departments insist on browbeating the drivers they have over petty, trivial nonsense? It seems counter-productive to me, but if they are too stupid to figure that out, then their freight will just have to sit and rot, while they try to find drivers willing to put up with their crap to haul it...

8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I hit a curb with the trailer tandem while making a tight right turn...while on my CDL driving test in school.

Examiner said there was no way to make that turn without hitting the curb and he knew that when he told me to take the turn.

As long as the tire or curb won't get damaged, that's part of driving on city streets. That's the point he was making, and what I took from it.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  9. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    We used to carry hardwood 3ft 4x4s on tour just for that task , fits in sidebox for easy access.

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    There's a place i pick up at that was built in 1940. The entire area was fields back then, but today has high rent high rise condos surrounding it with skinny little streets right in the downtown area of a very large city. No way to get backed into the short little docks without going up on the curb across the street. Meant to mention, to get into the dock, yes you have to use the entire street and the opposite sidewalk to get a 53 foot trailer up in there.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  11. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Gosh, Golly, Gee Whiz, LOOK at all the Trailers rolling at angles from hitting CURBS and Low Walls.
    Alignment issues?
    Driver errors or non concerns?

I've slowly crawled accross uncountable Curbs because of standard, For CARS road designs.
    I never Popped a Tire or Dented a Rim or been Rear Ended from "slow maneuvers".

Never heard of any camera system that could, until Post 1, "catch a curbing activity".

Lots of Customer locations & Roads (north east for example) that were designed for 40' trailers, so "curb riding/hopping" with 53's was normal operation.

IF Product Transportation Companies are too become so anal about "hitting/crossing curbs and related low barriers", then less Drivers would verily equal less "curbing incidents".

Impossible/Impracticle Solution:
    Only make WIDE Left Turns!!

CHEERS!!

snowlauncher and buddyd157 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.