I didn't know USDOT worked state scales

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    So, you need to know,,,,there are various agencies out there. Most state scales are checking for weight/registration. I remember the cajon scales southbound years ago with Ca. DMV checking trailer registration. Weird. Of course, agencies work with other agencies. ALL police agencies can cite, however, not ALL are qualified to inspect ETC . Another reason for drivers to know the laws.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Years ago, when you went to Cali, you had to buy temp trailer registration for your trailer, many didn't including yours truly, but if caught it was good for a fine.

4. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    You had to buy a $10. temp. 5 day trailer permit,if the tag on the trailer wasn't issued by the same state as your tractor base tag. Cal. was just trying to cash In on all the Maine trailer tags everyone was using. You only had to buy the permit,most truckstops sold them,and leave the date box unchecked. If you got pulled in somewhere,just x out the date. Always ran Maine tags,on my trailer,flip. Carried the same temp permit for years,never needed it.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  5. Shecky

Shecky Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Not correct. They have the authority to write a citation.

6. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Better yet tell them you’re not a commercial driver, you’re a commercial traveler.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Nebraska will setup at the random portable locations during harvest time and only dip fuel, god help you if you refuse or have the wrong fuel

When Colorado does the really big enforcement operations on I 70 at Dotsero parking area, sometimes the Feds will be there as well. Usually, they just walk the inspection line and look things over while CSP does the inspections and paperwork. Last one they did in Sept., 15 troopers, 30 inspectors, 2 Feds, those were all in the parking area, there were 6 chase vehicles for those who couldn't read the 4 signs each direction, those weren't FREE COFFEE tickets they were handing out

Feedman and Long FLD Thank this.
  8. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Today I was driving and I saw a vehicle that was marked “ Commercial Vehicle Enforcement”. Is that DOT? I don’t think I saw any DOT signs on it.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Did it have state or federal license plates?

10. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Honesty, I don’t remember.

11. Feedman

Feedman Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    West mi
    In Michigan that's what the dot state cops have on the back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.