I don't want to start an argument here, but... more screening of new drivers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tracyq144, May 7, 2011.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    You have proof of this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I_HATE_MINIVANS Heavy Load Member

My own personal experience. 9 months at Roadway. Not a single dang one of them would do ANYTHING more than what was required in his union contract. I once got chewed out by a senior driver because I got in an old air-start tractor and it was out of air and I had to fire up the newer Volvo next to it and borrow some air off it's red hose to get this old White/GMC piece of junk to start. I got yelled at by an older guy with more seniority who said I should have gone back inside and wrote up the truck and got paid by the hour until the mechanics got it started. I mean .. COME ON!! Seriously??? That could have taken HOURS and I was headed to Springfield, MO and I just wanted to get moving so I wouldn't be excessively tired by the time I got there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

In other words, one time and it is your opinion not a fact.

Want to talk down on the unions, go to the political forum and have fun.

5. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I_HATE_MINIVANS Heavy Load Member

I could sit here and list lots more examples. That was just one.

6. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

Well, I have ran into lazy workers and such that were not a part of any labor organization and all.

It comes down to the nature of the person.

walstib Thanks this.
  7. wildbill123

wildbill123 Heavy Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    SE,MI
    In order to spot stupidity one has to be a little above stupidity. Some of the instructors I've met would pass for the village idiot quite easily.:biggrin_25525:

8. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I agree...When I was in school, I thought they were very knowledgeable but quickly realized they only taught book knowledge and no real world knowledge which I feel a good instructor will impart, or at least should, whether required or not...As a flight instructor, I always made a point of teaching as much real world knowledge as possible since I felt it was equally, if not more, important to share...I hold no bad feelings towards my instructors though, they did their job...

9. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Heirforce1, did you ever hear a guy on the radio, called CREEP ALONG?

10. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Maybe not screening, but more proper training for new drivers, Had a rookie driver tell me one time, that driving a truck was the same as driving a car, took all I had not to punch him in the head, i did tell him to go home and never get in another truck as long as he lives

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.