I finally started school!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by H-D wrench, Oct 29, 2007.

1. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

nice update, and couple is spelled right except i think you drop the e to add ing but i flunked english in HS so im not totaly sure

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. H-D wrench

H-D wrench Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    DAY:7
    Kind of a drag. After getting in the truck we went back to the classroom.
    vehical controls. Kinda duh... Then cargo securment. The instructor is a Marine of 30yrs so we did get the regulations but no hands on, bummer.

OFF on friday. Monday we start road and range!!!:biggrin_255:

NO DISRESPECT MENT OR INTENDED!! TO ANY ARMED SERVICE!!!
    The man knows his ####!!!

4. K&J

K&J Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Central Florida
    Don't worry... the driving is coming! Great job so far! Its a ton of crap to swallow so fast and it keeps coming. We were lucky, we had our permits before we started school, so school was mostly hands on and only about 4 days of 5 weeks was actually classroom time. Keep the posts coming and good luck with the new week!

5. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    Day:8
    TRUCKIN!!!
    We worked on pretrips. Then the instructor asked who had driven a stick before. The other half of the class were shifting on the range, soo we went on a demo ride. He pulled over and said "Who wants to drive?"
    My first double clutching was done on the road, RIGHT THRU TOWN:biggrin_2555:!!!

After lunch I was selected to go on the road again, (too many 4 range that nite)
    Second time behind the wheel ! AT NITE IN THE RAIN!:biggrin_25523:

Trial by fire!!! You do learn fast that way. wow

6. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    DAY: 9+10
    pretrip practice
    road trip (4 to a truck /2--7 mile laps then the others drive:biggrin_25518:)
    lunch
    Range day 9 strait line backing. Its cold standing and waiting your turn.
    day 10 straitline and lane change backing. (thats hard)

Still cold and getting colder.
    The only complaint I have is it takes 10 hours to drive for 2 hours tops.
    I want to drive more. I want more practice before I get out in the real world.

7. K&J

K&J Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Central Florida
    I feel for you bro.... been there! Trust me on something.... Although the range is a pain in the behind, concentrate all your efforts on backing. If you are given an opportunity to choose range or road choose range. We got flooded with students about 2 weeks into our class and we spent a lot of time driving instead of backing. We regretted it when it came time to take our CDL exams and hadn't backed much in weeks. It really stressed us out. When you leave school and start driving you will get plenty of driving but very little backing. Monday night quarter backing it now, I'd recommend concentrating on backing as opposed to the little bit of driving you can do with 4 students in a truck. Its a whole new world backing into an offset dock behind a Michaels or Ross where there are no cones or lines.

Keep up the good work and we'll see you on the road shortly.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    whos doing the teaching there now??

9. K&J

K&J Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Central Florida
    You will plan trips before you get out of school and its important to know how to do it, but our company sends us the route they expect us to follow and it takes an act of god to change it :biggrin_25512:.

Congratulations on the testing and keep up the good work. Its worth it in the end.

10. BigDaddyJollyRob

BigDaddyJollyRob <strong>"El Oso"</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    Started school today at the TEAMSTERS TRAINING ACADEMY. We watched the teamsters video, did paperwork and straight backing in the yard. I'm so glad to finally get started.:biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.