I got my Class A CDL today.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bananajohn, Sep 28, 2022.

1. bananajohn

bananajohn Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2022
    Just six weeks ago I had no idea how to pre-trip, couldn’t shift worth ####, no idea how to back a tractor-trailer, and I can do all that and more now.

It’s been a wild six weeks, looking forward to what the future brings!

For anyone thinking about taking the leap into trucking, I hope this can be encouragement for you!

r.d

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Congratulations!! I remember when i got mine, was on cloud 9 for a while.

MartinFromBC, tscottme and bananajohn Thank this.
  4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Congratulations! Now get to work ! :occasion5:

MartinFromBC, Opus, tscottme and 2 others Thank this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Congrats!!! :wav: :occasion5:
    My best advice...to new & aspiring drivers:

When backing into any dark space--use magnetic flashlights (attached to the trailer) to illuminate the hole. This will help prevent parking incidents. Also--whenever in doubt--it's cheaper & easier...to GET OUT & LOOK.

It also appears to be a good time to get into the industry. It's very much a driver's market right now.

--Lual

6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
  7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Golf clap for you

MartinFromBC, tscottme and bananajohn Thank this.
  8. Me Too

Me Too Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2022
    Quakertown, PA
    Heading out to training in two weeks. The magnetic lights are going into my first truck! Thanks.

Dennixx and bananajohn Thank this.
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Started driving in the 80’s with a chauffeur license. After all these years, I find I’m still learning at times.

If you’re setting at a Truckstop taking your 10 or your 34, don’t be the guy that videos the other guy pulling up 3 times trying to get parked in a tight spot. Instead offer him a extra set of eyes, we were all beginners at one time…..

10. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Congrats! Now the learning really begins. This job is profoundly easier for me to do than it was when I first started four years ago. Practice does indeed make perfect, or at less less imperfect!

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Sometimes I would touch my brake pedal just enough to activate the brake lights as they help illuminate what you are backing toward. The worst are places up North where the dock is inside a building and you back through a big rollup door. It can be very difficult to see the dock until you are about 2 inches from it. Just go slow. Realize when you are perfectly backed into a spot, and it has bright yellow lines painted on the ground, the line on your passenger side is more accurate showing if your truck and trailer are straight between the yellow lines. The line on the driver side IS NOT accurate. If you try to get the trailer parallel using the yellow line on the driver side you will wind up angled toward the driver side, not parallel to both lines. Watch the passenger side lines on the ground to get centered and parallel to the lines on the ground.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.