I Guess I'm Done Driving?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by CondoCruiser, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    The DOT doctor disqualified me because of sleep apnea and diabetes last week. My eye sight has dropped from 20/40 to 20/70 also. I'm having trouble being compliant with the CPAP and my diabetes is out of control with repeated readings in the high 200's. I'm up to 2000 mg of Metformin a day, but it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I guess insulin is next.
    The respitory therapist is the one that started it and recommended I don't drive. I have been having episodes of alter consciousness as they call it. So I guess it's best I get off the road for the mean time. I feel like crap.

Meanwhile, my company has put me on a leave of absense and came and took the truck yesterday.

I doubt I can draw on my short term or long term disability policies as they mainly cover heart attacks and cancer. The company will probably end up firing me in a week or two and then I can draw unemployment?

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I gonna be charged with equipment abandonment since they come got the truck? That's probably the least of my concerns.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    Sorry to hear about all that, Sounds like its time for some serious diet and exercise for your diabetes and you might be able to get it under control. You might check with your company, I know , we can take a medical leave for to a year. The difference being they will still pay their portion of the health insurance. Might be worth checking on. If you have to get on insulin, then you cant drive anyways.

If your company terminates you, I think you can draw unemployment after 6 weeks but that probably depends on the state.

If you can get the diabetes under control , all the other problems can be resolved even with a equipment abandonment on the DAC

4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    You can't be charged with "abandonment"...it was a medical situation that would not allow you to drive...safety made the call and they in turn got their equipment with safety in mind!

(Your argument if they try that BS line...but I doubt they will)

As for your Diabetes...it does sound like insulin is in your immediate future...but many people lead very productive lives using insulin injection to control their "sugar". Get in touch with the company and possibly there is a dispatch or DM position you can fill...with your experience and insight you would be great in that type of position. Also check with local companies for the same situation, you can't throw 15 years of experience out the window!

Call the company insurance people and find out what your options are...don't go on hearsay...get the facts!

If all else fails...we could have a CondoCruiser MOD on the TTR!

EZ Money, rocknroll nik and Ducks Thank this.
  5. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Check into SSI disability at your local SSA office.

In this case, I'm not sure if your company can say you abandoned the truck. If SOP has been you take the truck home and your inability to get your medical was unforseen, I don't think it is abandonment.

I will encourage you to try to get used to that CPAP. If the mask is uncomfortable, try a different mask. There are several different styles. It has been proven that when OSA is treated effectively, other health issues resolve themselves. It's amazing how it all fits together. I used to work at Lincare. I personally saw cases in which issues you describe improved significantly with the consistent use of CPAP.

Diet and exercise are only pieces in a larger puzzle and I refuse to say some simple and pat thing as get off your arse and put down the fork. There's more to it than that.

Good luck to you. I'll ask the Grandmothers watch over you.

Ducks, GSWx and Digitalwarrior Thank this.
  6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Disability will be an issue that you will most likely not meet. Just because you cannot work as a driver, does not prevent gainful employment.

However, with the history of driving, have you considered the waiver program for diabetes?

7. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    sorry to hear that dude, i hope it all works out for you.

8. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    you might be able to apply for the "family leave" to protect yourself. "family leave" as you may know can be used for taking care of a sick relative, check with your lawyer if you have one. as for the eye sight, it may improve a bit if you get you sugar under control as high sugar relates to eye problems. as mentioned DIET AND EXERCISE should be of great help to you. i cannot say much about the sleep apnea, maybe losing weight will help here as well.

as also mentioned, you still have avenues to pursue, that being a dispatcher, or other office type worker for a trucking company, where a DOT card should NOT be a requirement no more.

if you get fired, it will be NO FAULT of yours and you should collect for about 26 weeks the "first time, then an extra 26 weeks under the Federal extension, giving you one year for you to get yourself in better shape.
    i think i speak for everyone here when i say, best of luck to you, you can do this, and get better.

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the replies. Alot of stuff being thrown at me unexpectantly. Even in my 20's and in shape I was a loud snorer, so sleep apnea was inevitable. I have a niece and nephew that have it too and they are normal body mass and in their 30's. Injun, the mask is okay. I'm just a serious case and they have the CPAP turned up wide open. It's like trying to sleep with a blow dryer in your mouth, lol. I wake up more with it. The respitory theripist is working closely with me.

The diabetes I'm sure was brought on by truck driving I thought. But the past year I have been very anti sugar. Black coffee, plain tea, water and almost zero sweets. I dread the needle and I know it's coming. :(

I just got off the phone with human resources. She seems to think I can draw on my short term disability so that's a little relief. I also can take a hardship out on my 401K if I need to so I should be alright on the money end. The paperwork is enroute.

I can still work and I will try to get a waiver if the doctor can get me stabilized. Like Arnold says, "I'll be back". If I become a dispatcher, I promise to be the best dispatcher a driver could want. :)

I been home over a week now and I been trying to do alot of physical work on the house. I'm paying for it too. No pain, no gain. Hopefully I can reverse this crap.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Mr. CC...talk to your RT about going to a BiPAP and the possibility of nocturnal supplemental oxygen via canula...also, consider seeing an EENT about the possibility of surgery to reduce the soft tissues in your throat. I'm getting a more complete picture now.

I really hope they can figure your breathing out. If you are able to get real rest, I'm convinced your other issues will be significantly mitigated.

Don't give up.

11. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    Question? Did someone take your A1C value. Having two or six 200+ BG levels doesn't tell the whole story. If your A1C value is under 10% you can still be treated with oral meds.

Talk to your doctor about teaming the Metformin with Glipizide or one of the other oral meds. Exercise and diet are just as important as taking the meds. Even moderate exercise can lower your Serum BG level significantly. I am not just toting the party line here. I am a compliant Type II Diabetic and not insulin dependent. My DOT Medical Card was signed Tuesday for two years. I wasn't so compliant a month ago.

The Sleep Apnea is a bit more serious, but I suspect of you get yourself compliant with the CPAP you could always try for the waiver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.