I hate the CPAP

Discussion in 'Prime' started by AnotherObserver, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    130 events per hour that really high. I think most drivers don't believe they stop breathing and unless you are tested it not easy to detect. It just seems normal, you get so use to not breathing correct

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Toney, AL
    Yes, I was diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea... at least it is treatable, as I passed a DOT this past August, with a letter from the sleep center.

4. iono12345

iono12345 Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2012
    look I'm glad that many are helped by the sleep apnea machine, I personally think that carriers are using this as another way to lessen their insurance costs...not everyone needs to be on the program, however borderline or even looking sideways will put u on the program....

AnotherObserver, DRAGON64 and pattyj Thank this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't know much about sleep abnea or that machine but when it comes to the medical side,most physicians are abunch of quacks and so are the nurse's.

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They have a sleep apnea scale, they claim everyone has it. When you have 1-4 events per hour that normal. Nothing need to be fixed it when you go over 5+ Events Per Hour. That borderline and could be debated if someone really has sleep apnea. Mild sleep apnea is 5-15 Moderate is 15-30 and Severe is 30+ Events Per Hour.

That's also how you know if your CPAP machine is work good for you because you can seen how many Events Per Hour your back down to with the CPAP machine. You get your numbers back to 4 or less you know your back in the normal or no sleep apnea range.

AnotherObserver and DRAGON64 Thank this.
  7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I use a CPAP too. Works great for me.

The two things I don't agree with is the FMCSA deciding this is the "root" of the "fatigue problem", and the carrier mandating that you go to THEIR doctor on THEIR property and buy THEIR machine. That seems greasy as fheck.

Also, does the carrier's medical review officer call dispatch and say "pull Driver 55067 off the road for three days", or does a note pop up in the dispatch screen that says "Driver 55067 is not using his CPAP"? Only the MRO is authorized to discuss medical issues with you. I've had the secretary in the Safety Department call asking about my head injury from back in 1988. This is MEDICAL RECORD information, DOCTOR ONLY. I'm sure everyone has a similar story. It only keeps happening because we let it, because we need the job.

DRAGON64 and AnotherObserver Thank this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't think the FMCSA will never stop. Because they don't have a stopping point. It's not like they say if we get accidents down to 5,000 a year or any number you pick, they are done and have finished their job. It a never ending job. I think some drivers will be saved by getting sleep apnea testing and probably even less accidents and probably even less deaths from accidents.
    How many is probably hard to tell because we don't even know how many drivers have sleep apnea. Plus no guy wants to hear he is not sleeping good when you think you are.

9. morpheus

morpheus Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    They monitor its effectiveness by measuring your breathing. If you leave it off your face then it is considered a large leak and will shutoff.

10. morpheus

Jun 12, 2014
    Newer machines like mine use a modem and "phone in" the info.

11. morpheus

Jun 12, 2014
    well that guy is full of ####. The machine knows when you are sleeping and when you are not and just "breathing." It can tell when you are in full REM sleep because your breathing changes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.