I HATE Training. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DizzleDriver, Aug 23, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well if it was not raining, HMMM
    I am bad about leaving them onto long myself. Once when I wass training my sil, he ask if it wasstill raining pretty bad on my side. lol

FlaSwampRat and FearTheCorn Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DizzleDriver

DizzleDriver Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I didn’t say after every grade. This was one mountain, one grade. I also didn’t speak on the fundamentals because in school you learn just enough to pass the test and are told the majority of the knowledge will come from training.

HE chose to train. He wasn’t forced into it. He should know that new drivers are not going to be burning rubber, weaving through traffic, tailgating, ignoring the speed limit or searching their phone for fuel stops WHILE driving. So if he has a problem with the miles then he shouldn’t be training. He complained about the other trainees, called them retarded when I first got on the truck so I know it’s not just me.

I have no problem with how he drives, he is skilled I won’t take that away from him but I’m not comfortable driving that way and he shouldn’t push me to do so. Safety will always come first in my book. I’m not aiming to be a super trucker.

4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Just suck it up. I know that sounds like horrible advice but just get through it.

Then find a mentor or keep asking questions here.

Do not give up.

5. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Are you at CRST?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. DizzleDriver

Aug 23, 2019
    No. K- -M

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I here ya man, try and stay positive. That company struggles with "trainers".

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Like I said, I was not dissing you, and by your own admission he is a skilled driver, watch him and pay attention. My swamper that rides with me, can tell you what the gauges reads normally better than II can, he knows exactly what he tach and what gear I wind up in, down or up. He is actually a pretty good driver, and that came from watching.
    When I had him in my log truck, I turned him loose after riding with him three days, different deal.
    It seems like every post from someone on his forum during training has a terrible trainer, personally I find it hard to belive that they all are terrible. You do have it right, that he doesn't have to train, but at least he is, not like 99% of others that would not even think about it.
    It may be a pain and something you hate at the moment, but it doesn't last long in the grand scheme of things, so it may help to look at it that at least you have a trainer.
    It will work out, just relax and go with it a few more weeks.

9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Yeah, he shouldn't be training. Actually it doesn't sound like he is training. Unfortunately training isn't something the companies take seriously and what you're experiencing seems to be fairly common.

Didn't you mention he likes to tailgate and play with his phone while driving? I have a problem with that. Skilled driving is about more than what he does from the sounds of it. :|

Anyway, you're two thirds of the way through your time with him. Like others have said, suck it up and get through it.

You can learn from any trainer, sometimes you learn what to do, sometimes what not to do. It sounds like this guy won't be good for much more than learning how the company does certain things.

The real learning comes when you go solo anyway and it never ends. Lots of threads on here about trip planning and backing if you look for them.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, both here and from other drivers.

DizzleDriver and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    HE chose to train. He wasn’t forced into

Well he probably was kinda forced into it to be able to afford the truck he's paying all the bills for. It really seems like you could do just about any other job on Earth and make more money than 99% of those lease guys. Let this be a lesson to you when they try to get you to lease a truck DONT do it. You will be in the same spot as this guy. See you are learning from him lol.

11. DizzleDriver

Aug 23, 2019
    He talks like he’s making a fortune but I figured it was all talk when I saw him request a $100 advanced, half the rubber from one of the wipers hanging, and we’ve been driving with a check engine fault error message. Lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.