I have a class b license can i make any money in the oil business?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by zbs60, Mar 12, 2019.

1. zbs60

zbs60 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    HI All

I have a class B license with air brakes, tanker, hazmat endorsement and passenger endorsement. Im 58 years old. For about 20 years i worked as a limousine driver. I also have 4 years of truck driving experience in a 26ft straight truck with a automatic transmission. Dont laugh, but I graduated from the Greyhound Bus driver training school in Atlanta but only did that for 6 months.

Now that we got that out of the way, just what type of work would i be able to do? What are the wages? Im not interested in doing hard core manual labor. Is there alot of stress being a water tanker driver?

Thanks

Z

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    With a class B license and hazmat endorsement but no tank endorsement, you don't really have many options in the oilfield other than driving a crew van for a frac/cement/coil tubing company, doing wireline, or possibly running a hot-oil truck. If you get the tank endorsement you will be able to drive a straight truck doing frac/rig fueling, vac truck, or super sucker.

If you do not wish to work in the oilfield, there will be a few more options available to you, but I still encourage you to get the tanker endorsement because that will open up a whole lot more doors both in the oilfield and elsewhere.

4. zbs60

zbs60 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Hi RockinChair

Im sorry its late at night i forgot to include the tanker endorsement. I got confused. At one time here in missouri the tanker and hazmat endorsements were separated now when you have both they just put a x on your license. By the way what is a hot oil truck?

5. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Because you have the x endorsement, everything I mentioned in my previous post will be available to you.

A hot oil truck is equipped with a pump and a propane-fired heater. The operator will pull fluid into the heater tank, heat it up to a certain temperature, and then pump it under pressure into a well bore or a flowline to remove wax deposits. They also draw crude oil from a production tank, heat it, and return it to a tank to break up paraffin. There's not much physical labor to the job, mostly driving the truck and then operating the controls while on location.

6. zbs60

zbs60 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    How much an hour would this type position pay? What states would the positions be in?

thanks

7. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Zbs60, heating the oil not only melts the paraffin wax (which is still oil and salable) but it also separates water from that oil. The company buying that oil tests it before loading it to make sure that's what they're getting and not water. It can't test for more than 1% water or it gets rejected.

Having the endorsement but no experience is not good. I'd recommend signing on with a larger company (Schneider or some such- not an endorsement) and getting 1/2 years of accident free experience then moving on from there.

I support your ambition and think it wise. In my opinion, the Permian Basin is THE place to be working if you're a skilled truck driver. Good luck.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    These positions will be in the Permian Basin (West Texas and SE New Mexico) for sure. Possibly South Texas, East Texas, Wyoming, North Dakota, and Eastern Ohio / Western PA.

The wages will vary depending on the area, I assume they would range from $18-25 per hour, maybe higher up north.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    austinmike Thanks this.
  9. zbs60

zbs60 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Rockinchair thanks for all the information. I do have experience driving Rock. Ive driven motorcoaches and 26 ft straight trucks. Driving a 45ft bus with a bunch of nutcracks takes plenty of skill. I would say its alot harder than most driving.

When you bring up the permian basin what are the living accomodations like? Is there company supplied housing or is the locals raping the drivers/field hands for rent?

10. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Z, you're welcome, glad I can help. Some companies will supply housing, some don't. Some people rent apartments or houses, and a lot of folks buy travel trailers and live in RV parks.

11. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Apartment rents in Midland are straight up f ***** g insane. When I was looking last year, the best deal I found was a 600 sq ft efficiency for $1700/mo - only problem (besides the rediculous price) was it wasn’t available for 3 months.

If you’ve got good credit you can buy a new RV trailer with heat/oven/air/flat screen for $26/27K. Place I bought mine from did financing through State Farm @5.69% on a 10 year note so payments are only $299.98/mo. I’ll have it paid off before the end of this year. IMO this is by far the best option.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.