I just got my DOT card!!!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dieseltu, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I deal with bloodpressure issues as well. My last visit to renew my card, my BP was high. Doc said.."you are not alone..Over half the drivers I see have the same issue when they come in". He said don't worry and started telling me jokes. When we were about done, he put a cuff on me and did an old school BP test..I was fine. So my advice..try your best to relax. Good luck driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Don’t die before your first check!

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Do physical 1st thing in the morning. Before you have that first cigarette.

It's what I have to do.

Omega1 Thanks this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You should go watch Dr. John Bergman on youtube. Look up his class on high blood pressure.
    Stay away from blood pressure drugs. Every drug is a toxin. Blood pressure's are great for forcing you to take two or three other drugs to cover up the side effects. Good money maker for the Medicine Man.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Remember that 90 day card is a fair warning you might never get another DOT card from that doctor if you cannot get your BP Below cutoff 140/90 without BP medicine. I spent one month on Alltenanlol (Spelling) for both heart rate and BP. And defeated hypertension stage three. (BP in the region of 180/110 plus 24/7 with heartrates excess of 130 constant. That's stroke territory.

All of my values are below normal but above what they consider unstable. So my hypertension is well and truly defeated with only a 30 day course of treatment with that one medicine. And a surgery to remove the source of pain from a smashed broken hip joint. That went a long way to helping the body recover on my end. SO I qualify again for DOT medical for BP on my end without any more medicine needed. If I can do it you can too. Your value of 150 over is not that much. You don't need but to remove some foods that stimulate you too much from the diet and I bet you will be back down in the 130's like you are supposed to be.

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I'm healthy as an ox but only got a 1-year card. I have to renew it next week. My blood pressure is perfectly normal most of the time, but when I got into the lab to be tested, had all the white coats standing all around me hooking stuff up to me, my blood pressure went up. Got a 1-year card for it.

8. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    OK , the night before your physical fast from noon on. Don't eat chocolate or drink coffee the day of the physical. Go to a doctor and get pills, they see this all the time. I pay 8 bucks a month for my pills. I fast before a physical and I got a 2 year card.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Congrats to the OP.

From the description of your old job you gave, I'd say just leaving it will lower your BP. Stress plays a large part to. People ignore stress an then wonder why their body breaks down.

Good luck in the new gig and getting that BP under control.

Sirscrapntruckalot - When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. - Mark Twain

10. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    Plan on your next test early in the morning with a night of good sleep. Refrain from high salt/sodium foods a few days prior, also no caffeine or nicotine before your test.
    As others stated, look at healthier lifestyle...good luck.

11. dtj12231989

dtj12231989 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    North Carolina
    Question on this. I don't have high blood pressure per se but it does go up at times. My average blood pressure is right around 125/83 with an average pulse of 62 or 63. When it does go up, it goes to around 140/89. Would all of this be a problem?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.