I messed up. I messed up bad.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Vagabond82, Jun 26, 2020.

1. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    No problem. Mix up your restaurants sometime. Same franchise, same city, same billing address different locations. 4000 pounds back up the ramp with a 2 wheel cart. Didn’t cry till I got to the second restaurant and had to bring everything up from downstairs before I took it back up the ramp.

nikmirbre and rolls canardly Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Yikes what a story

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Might get charged out of route miles.
    Depends on company.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Did you make it all the way to Nebraska?

I knew a guy years ago, who hooked to a trailer in Indiana, going to Northern Wisconsin. Got there, opened it up, and it was empty. One number off on the trailer number he was supposed to take.

magoo68 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    That would be like delivering 500 new tires to a scrap/recycling processing plant. It happened. Not me. I heard that it was too much fun for me to be involved in.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you might have just worked for free.

i have had co-workers at both union and non-union shops do just that.....they enjoyed working for free all those miles.

and never screwed up again.

i was in NJ at the now defunct NEMF, and believe me, they had many trailers from all the companies they owned in the yard..

nearly all of them so close in numbering, like 53332, or 58332, or 68332

try finding YOUR trailer in the dead of winter and snow covered, or ice covered.

i couldn't, but before i left the gate?

the security guard caught it, and i went back, and looked over and over again, till i found the correct numbered trailer.

i lost time, for sure, but i never lost money on that mistake.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Hell i done that before to. Picked up a load of equipment in gary indiana headed to cali . Turns out they wrote the seriel numbers down correctly but somehow messed up all the paperwork as the equipment was suppsoed to go to iowa instead.. Somehow it traveled all the way from shipper to broker to my company sales person and eventually down to my dispatch and then thru my qualcomm and i picked it up and was in new mexico before they figured it out... got paid both ways since it wasnt my fault... if u havent learned yet , trucking industry is put together with duck tape and rubber bands. #### is gonna happen sooner or later

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Back when people were calmer heads and had a sense of humour and wern’t living out everyday to have someone fired for a human mistake. Everyone in the company would just laugh at you while you laughed at yourself. Then most likely you’d just get a “handle” like sloppy swap, blindman, wrong wagon, drop it don’t swap it.
    I can’t think of any good ones right now but you get the jist. You’d live to drive another day as a company legend until someone comes along and makes another humanly mistake to steal your thunder. Lol!
    Keep on truckin’

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I saw you there!
    I was standing on a corner in Winslow AZ
    It was such a fine sight to see..
    Although for some reason you didn’t look happy about being there lol

11. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Stuff happens all the time. When I was dispatching we had a guy take a dart trailer 500 miles before we noticed. It happened to have the same trailer number as ours. When I called him to ask why he had a dart trailer, “I thought it was weird it had dart decals on it”.

When I was local doing pallet jack deliveries, we had 2 customers with almost identical names. I ended up delivering to the wrong one. I unloaded all 22 pallets by pallet jack, then had to reload all 22, and then do it again at the right customer. Killed me.

Also was team driving a decade ago, and I woke up in the exact same spot I went to bed. My co driver, thought the gps was defective trying to tell him to uturn, so he unplugged it and managed to drive half his shift in the wrong direction. He finally realized he messed up, then drove back to where we were originally.

Lots of stuff happens.

bzinger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.