I Need Engne Help

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Wolfgang_KW, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH

All this is my OPINION, and what I myself would advice you, ok?

Your Dad's old W900 sound's like a nice LARGE CAR which has been rode hard and put away wet, FROM what you said.

I myself would PARK your W9/LC by the garage Until I was able to put another motor in it or rebuild the one thats in it.
    How do you do that with no moneys right?
    :biggrin_2558:
    Get yourself a good used WORK truck to help you ( HELP ) the w9.

CHROME dont get yah home! Pick yourself up a FLD and run it till the wheels fall off! You can pick up a ( GOOD ) well taken care of FLD with a sleeper for around $5-10 Grand!
    Thats Cheaper than the w9's rebuild.
    :biggrin_255:
    My advice is RUN the FLD or used truck for a YEAR saving money's and USING the TAX money's uncle sam dont need, and rebuild your w9!
    Thats a Winter project.......

Brickman, and I both Run older truck's and He's aware also that your older ( cheaper truck ) can make JUST as much money's as that LARGE CAR you wanna see running! :biggrin_25525:

All the best bro.....
    Matthew

PS,
    At the COST of what you would have in a total ( fresh ) rebuild Brickman and myself could possibly pick up 2 / 3 good used OLDER trucks!!!!!!!!!! Thats FACT!
    Im not speaking for Brickman, I just know how he thinks......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronkpaws

ronkpaws Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2007
    The cat C-15 is a very good and reliable engine. Just make sure you do not get one that is made in 2007. The best advice I can give is to go to the engine web sights, and review all recalls on engines that you are thinking of buying.

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    My 2003 c15 os getting 4.6mpg. I am hearing the 2007 emission cats are getting 4mpg. Try to make a buck with that!

5. Wolfgang_KW

Wolfgang_KW Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2007
    New Orleans,Louisiana
    Thank you every one for the input I decided to do as Matthews said and buy another truck and drive it to the ground to make some money and fix this truck. A neighbor of mine knows where i can get a good 2000 International 9200 with a N-14 430hp and I found a w900 N-14 525hp that was rolled but I want to rebuild it since it has 750k miles since last rebuild and I would like to start fresh. I will try to keep posted on the progress of the truck. As of now I am takeing the cab apart in my garage and rewireing the whole truck.

6. Wolfgang_KW

Wolfgang_KW Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2007
    New Orleans,Louisiana
    Sorry little typo the engine has 650K miles not 750K

7. vegetto

vegetto Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2006
    if you need someone to rebuild the engine, i can do it for you if you want to bring it up kansas city.... $2000 with unlimited mileage labor warranty and 1 year parts warranty if i buy the parts. i love n-14's!

8. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    Smart move in my opinion...... Just remember to baby your OLDER truck so that it will show you as a benefit to your family.
    The FLD we just got was a $6,000 Truck.
    Added new front tandem Virgin drives at $1,200 All new fluids, Belts,hoses ...
    The Normal PM - Greased from nose to Butt.....

It should be a benefit to US, and I hope you have good luck with your choices.....

All the best,
    Matthew

9. n4mgr

n4mgr Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Silver City, NM

This is so true. Trucking is like an incurable virus. You may try to come off the road, but like me, make it 6 months before hitting the highways again. I tell you what, a Cat C-15 in that truck would cost you about 16000 or so, but you will get your moneys worth. It is deductible from taxes and the fuel mileage isn't going to be bad. Go with higher horses and no speed limiter if you can and enjoy the road. Also, try to avoid the post-2007 engines(all makes) and anything with an EGR system (Detroit and Cummins) if you can help it. I've never met a truck with an EGR system that didn't have mechanical problems. Eventually that system will leave you stranded at your expense. Also don't go with the newer Cat engines with the ACCERT technology(twin turbos). This emissions control stuff is just plain junk, even if it was meant for a good purpose.

BTW, the emissions controls started in '04, so you would be god to find a engine or just a used truck '03 or older. There are plenty out there.

I'm in a '97 Freightliner FLC-112(kin to the FLD) with a C-12 3406B, 10sp, 3:58 rears, 375hp. I'm getting an avg. 6.5 mpg and only use 1 gallon of oil between pm's.

Most importantly, Have fun. If you don't enjoy your job, there are plenty of other lines of work. Trucking really isn't for everyone, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't do anything else at this point. I was infected after the first year and it only gets better as time goes by.

10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    this is an OLD thread and I don't think he's been around in a long time.

n4mgr Thanks this.
  11. n4mgr

n4mgr Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Silver City, NM
    Thats ok. I didn't stop to look at the date posted, my mistake. Thanks for the heads up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.