I need HELP!!! I screwed up

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 232trucker, Oct 2, 2013.

1. 232trucker

232trucker Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Queens, New York
    This Is What Happen... I Arrived At The Shipper Went Inside And Was Told The Place I Needed To Go Was Around The Corner. So i Turn Around In The Lot And Made A Right Turn To Leave i Had No Space And The Back Of The Trailer Bent The Entrance Sign. There Was No Damage To The Trailer Or The Sign I Bent The Post. i Am So upSet Because I Did Not Want To Stay With This Company... I Just Wanted A Year Experience That I Needed To Get This Local Job To Be Home With My Family.. This Is My First Incident Ever Touching Anything.. I Am A New Driver Only Been Driving 2 Months And I Had A Perfect Record... Even Though The Guy Said He Was Gonna Bolt The Sign Back Up. He Still Took A Copy Of My License And Registration Then I Left
    .. I Reported To The Safety Department So I Don't Know What's Gonna Happen.. Am I Screwed Do U Think I Have To Stay With This Starter Company Now.. Whould AnyBody Hire Me After A Year...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    On the bright side, my trainer noted that he had a preventable in his first year, blowing a tire and rim on a curb making a right turn on a city street. Gave him points. Now he's been able to pull his points into negative territory by getting clean inspection in New Mexico and getting "cited" by an audit team that reviews company driver behavior in city traffic (he was referenced for having good following distance, both hands on the wheel, and checking his mirrors frequently).

One incident won't define your career. However, follow up with the safety department and find out what their report will be in your file. That's important. Maintain good communication with Safety.

Criminey Jade and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Nothing major there. Sure, you're still hirable. If you're not under contract, don't wait a year for something local. Careerbuilder website shows local jobs available.

landstar8891 and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  5. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    I wouldn't have said anything to the safety department because I would have driven off as fast as possible :)

Chinatown, baha, pattyj and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's the correct answer.

baha and coalroll Thank this.
  7. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Don't these carriers "expect" incidents in the first year? I'd say so....

8. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    You did what you were supposed to do, Let the cards fall where they lay, You are being honest! That is all you needed to do.

9. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    If the sign was on private property it is a non-reportable and won't be on your driving record. Only you and company know. Maybe if you pay for any damage they will not put in your file. Make sure that this is in writing or people net/qual com or something to go back if they renig.

10. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    My 2nd week with my job, I was in trouble because another driver backed over an object with one of the trucks I slip-seat in. That driver did not report the incident to the Safety Department and he was fired for doing something else before the complaint came in. I was guilty by association with that truck and I had to prove I wasn't driving it that day. My DM had my name cleared, but he could've just as easily ignored me and made me stick out the punishment.

Always be honest and forthright with Safety. If you aren't, you face a heightened risk of being suspended and fired. You could also drag other employees down with you and that's uncool. This is not a horrid incident. You might have a strike on your record with the company, but it won't stop you from getting on with most other companies. I've only seen a couple advertising in Denver who won't hire you if you've had an incident in the past year. They seem to care more about traffic tickets and accidents (hit car, damaged truck, rollover, etc).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    CondoCruiser and luvtotruck Thank this.
  11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Fortunately, you did the right thing by reporting the incident to safety.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.