I need help please, Unemployed

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by squeaky2073, Mar 21, 2022.

1. squeaky2073

squeaky2073 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2022
    I have been driving for about 3 years now and really need some help. I live in Staten Island, NY, and the last company I worked for was Ester Express Lines. Worst company I have ever seen. Equipment all broken. Mechanics always say "dude there's nothing wrong with it". Long story short their yard jokey drivers caused an accident in a yard when I arrived. Bobtailing slowly thru at about 5 mph one flew out of nowhere from behind a trailer, and made a 10 mph U-turn almost running into me because he didnt bother to check where he was going. Blamed me, I got fired. I have worked for 4 companies in the 3-4 years I have had a CDL. They all seem to lie to get you into the door then start ruining your life. I am unemployed at the moment, nobody seems to respond to my applications. Is it because I have too many things to list on an application where it asks your 10 year history? I also dont have a resume, I am very bad and dont know how to deal with those. Oh and I have one accident on my record from new york city but it doesnt list me at fault.

I am very depressed and need help. I am a us navy veteran with 3-4 years cdl experience and nobody will hire me. I have all endorsements, but leaving new york state doesnt transfer hazmat so I will not have that. I want a local job somewhere peaceful and quiet. I dont want to be here in new york city, would move almost anywhere just hoping to avoid the large cities if possible. Anybody know what I should do or am I screwed and should I just give up. Thank you for your time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a local job in Florida and don't need hazmat. Right on the beach near Cape Canaveral and 6 miles from Cocoa Beach.
    Atlantic Frozen Foods
    Port Canaveral, FL
    Drivers can make "up to" $100G per year and it's local work.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Sorry, yard jockey's always have the right of way. Do something else, and the industries loss. Being a vet, things have never been better for you, an awareness of a good person. Sadly, that doesn't matter in the trucking world, and you are too good for it. Really, use your vet "card", I almost guarantee, you can do a lot better than trucking. Thank you for your service,:thumbup:

10. squeaky2073

squeaky2073 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2022
    Do something else? Well I was a helicopter electrician for 5 years in the navy, I came out and tried to be a pilot but that didnt work out for money reasons. I ended up working on the railroad. Got a job with CSX as a conductor, and have to get promoted to locomotive engineer which was my lifelong dream. Unfortunately they cut too many jobs and my seniority vanished into thin air so I kind of just ended up getting a CDL. Also good with computers, always build my own and lots of fun. If I give up trucking, not really sure where else to go or how to go about it. Nothing seems to work out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    pumpkinishere and austinmike Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    How about heavy equipment mechanic? Airline industry is huge today, and your military credentials should be a shoe in for you. Since you got kind of a raw deal with trucking, it's too late, that infraction will dog you, not because of the severity , but ANY infraction is hard to erase. Years ago, you could actually TALK to a boss, and THEY would make the determination and you probably would have gotten right in. Today, you are just a number on a screen. Obviously, you want to be outdoors, weather getting better, landscaping, machine operator, don't sell yourself short. I get in a lot of trouble for my views here, but it's come to the point, trucking is the absolute last resort today, I think you have many more qualifications than to be a mere truck driver. Best of luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted