I Need ur advise on this Problem. PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by kickingdeer, May 5, 2008.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You can go on the net and down load trucking companies in your area. Then weed through them for the companies that haul OTR. THEN GO OUT AND TALK WITH THEM. You'll never find a job where a recruiter is involved or where then have a high turn over rate. They can fill the seat with no problem because it seems that every driver coming out of school depends on recruiters. You never know you might end up with a better job anyway. You might catch a company that is self insured and needs a driver because someone retired. The better companies don't advertise for drivers because the better drivers know who they are.

kickingdeer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Data_man

Data_man Light Load Member

May 29, 2008
    Southern IN
    How long have you been driving? If I understand this correct you had two separate accidents. One, hit a snow bank and busted the bottom step and the second one hitting a parked trailer in a rest area. You said that the rest area was dark and so you implied that this was part of the reason you hit the trailer. Not a very good reason.
    If you have been driving for more then six months then try this plan of action. Make a top ten list of all of the carriers that you would like to try to get a job at. Next make sure you tell no lies about your accidents. Matter of fact don't even blame the company or the dark rest area. Your story should be that you made a couple of mistakes and give all of the reasons why you would be a great asset to the company you are trying to get the job at. Don't mail the app in to the company until you talk to someone face to face or a one on one phone call with the person that makes the final decision when it comes to hiring. Even take a copy of the DAC with you to the interview or fax it before the phone call so that they know you are not hiding a thing from them. Make no excuses for these accidents. You made a couple of mistakes and that you are ready to go forward. Don't whine and look them straight in the eye and tell the truth. Tell them you will do them a good job and don't try to BS them with how you ran more miles backing up then most drivers.
    I was a recruiter back in the 80's for a few months and it don't take long to see the BS walk in the door. And when a company finds out about accidents, tickets and other violations from a report and not from you then you don't have a chance of getting hired. Whole your head high, tell the truth and #### the torpedoes.
    Good luck.

kickingdeer Thanks this.
  4. chatterbox

chatterbox Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2008
    oshkosh WI
    i have heard of a lot of companies putting things on your dac report that you dont know about until it is too late and then you cant get a job. i have a friend with the same problem and i may have the same one too, because i bent the cab extender while trying to turn around in a cust. parking lot that was too small so i'm waiting too see what happens there. if you were not cited by the cops for either incident i think that you should be able to fight it and if only one had any damage to report, depending on the company you should only be responsible for the deductable and if it was a team learning comany i know their insurance(handled by govt) pay's 100% and since you have a clean driving record before this you should be able to have a company over look it you may not be able to go with a big comany and get a driving job with some inbetween companies that arnt fortune 500 companies. good luck

kickingdeer Thanks this.
  5. kickingdeer

kickingdeer Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Answer: I would do that if the Hwy was a mile from my house and It wasn't 100 degrees plus during the day. :biggrin_25517: I have looked at some of the traffic that goes by most of them are from the base transporting military equiptment or O/O's not much infor on the trailers. I have put in some application at some of these carriers. I haven't given up ... I like driving to much. When I wasn't able to provide for my husband he took off with his car (the only form of transportation that worked) it left me without a form of transportation that ran. My parents are trying to help me fix my S-10 up so I can travel and put in applications. So currently I am trying to take care of my family without any real money comming in.

6. kickingdeer

Aug 2, 2007
    Joshua Tree, CA

I thank you very much for your input.

I have a problem I don' t lie about my DAC, I feel that if I lie it will come back to haunt me ;-). I try not to say I ran so many miles because to me that doesn't matter, because
    I'm sure that they're other drivers that have ran more miles than I have in my time on the road.
    I am not trying to make up any excuses about hitting the trailer, the lighting did play a role in me hitting the trailer...that fact was written on the accident report of the Sheriff that came out to take the report.
    The company said they released me due to "Safety Reasons". May I ask
    you this...When I talk to anyone in the hiring department, Should I bring that up as the reason for leaving the company since it is on my DAC?

I just can't give up, I like my time on the road and really want to get back out there.

7. kickingdeer

Aug 2, 2007
    Joshua Tree, CA
    There are not very many companies in my area. I live in the high desert (Joshua Tree, CA) the closest place that has any trucking companies are in Fontana and San Bernardino both in CAlly.
    I guess the net will be my best way of calling companies.

I will be better able to travel after my S-10 gets road ready. The company I was with was self-insured. I guess that's what I get for living where I can see the sky ;-). I like to run solo and as funny as it sounds ... I really like driving.

8. kickingdeer

Aug 2, 2007
    Joshua Tree, CA
    The company was self-insured. As of to date the company still hasn't paid the driver or his company for the damages that I did. I didn't have any type of deductable in the monitary sort of way, but I did lose my job.
    I wasn't given any notice about any of the incidents outside of the accident that I had a problem.
    I have 3 in a half years of actual driving under my belt. This is the first thing I hit besides killing a mail box in the first 3 weeks of driving. That was in Nov 04 so my record is clean until the hitting the trailer this past Feb.08.
    The wording on my DAC released due to SAFETY REASONS really hurts in that respect. I did hit the trailer my fault, I would have gladly tried to work something out with the driver and his company if I could have. I was six days short of six months with this company.
    You can always see what is on your DAC by going on the USIS web site and requesting a copy.

9. kickingdeer

Aug 2, 2007
    Joshua Tree, CA
    I found out they are on my DAC for this company. The rest of my DAC is clean.

10. rixcamp

rixcamp Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Kicking deer, I lived in Cali for 34 years before moving to Arizona. I know Joshua Tree very well. Not a whole lot of truck traffic going thru! That really sucks about your hubby taking off! And then you're dealing with all the DAC issues. You must be a brave lady. Try to keep your chin up and not give up! Explain what happened to any trucking company you've applied at, and tell them you've learned from the experience, and will be more careful and watchful of potential hazards. I have a chevy s-10 too (and a silverado). If you need any advice about fixing your S-10, get to where you have 50 post on here and private message me. Anyway, good luck, you sound like a good person!

kickingdeer Thanks this.
  11. kickingdeer

Aug 2, 2007
    Joshua Tree, CA
    I am trying to keep my head up. One thing about trucking there is always something to learn. I love driving and I plan on trying to get back on the road I hope before the end of the year. I will be looking very carefully on any type of information before I go for any company. ;-)
    I started the thread on "Florilli" because they wasn't anything on them. I just want to give my view on something because in the end it is the person that will make up their own mind.
    Yes, I have learned a lot in the past few months, I am grateful to the people (like you) that have given me hope that I still have a chance to continue in the trucking industry. When I started this post, I was looking for insight from other drivers, it took awhile and a second post to have people response with sound advice. There is a lot more about how this all came down but this was the end result.
    I don't trust DAC very much; a company did a DAC on me and much to my surprise not only did most of the information pulled was true...there was something funny that came up...a name came up (similiar to mind) but the kicker was this other person was a MALE, 6'2", 185 lbs, BLACK and this person had two drug charges on him, :) to say the least none of this information was true...so I contacted USIS and they removed that infomation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.